South Koreans show their anger at North Korea’s latest nuclear test which has been denounced by all major powers including Pyongyang’s traditional ally China.
A non-binding statement at an emergency session of the UN Security Council condemned the test with US Ambassador Susan Rice pushing for tougher sanctions:
“North Korea does not and will not benefit from violating international law. Far from achieving its stated goal of becoming a strong and prosperous nation, the DPRK has instead increasingly isolated and impoverished its people through its ill-advised pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery.”
North Korea confirmed the test after international monitors recorded seismic activity consistent with a powerful underground explosion on Tuesday morning.
Pyongyang residents applauded the test as their government said it would never bow to resolutions on its nuclear programme.
With Beijing likely to resist more sanctions which would weaken the north’s economy prompting a flood of refugees, Moscow is calling for more talks.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown
- 03:49 CET Dengue outbreak at Australian detention centre sparks fresh…
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election