A year ago on February 10, 2012 the Italian daily newspaper “Il Fatto Quotidiano” published a document according to which Pope Benedict XVI was at risk of being killed.
The article provoked uproar. Euronews visited the paper’s newsroom to find out more. At the time, the Vatican was rife with rumours of scandals and plots. Leaks to the media alleged in-fighting and wrongdoing.
The report claimed a confidential document was delivered to the Vatican, saying the Archbishop of Palermo had been told by a reliable source of a serious plot to kill the Pope within 12 months.
Antonio Padellaro, Il fatto Quotidiano’s Editorial Director, told us the Vatican’s spokesman reacted angrily at first and threatened legal action for defamation, before doing an about turn.
“Father Lombardi was obliged to admit that the document did exist but said it wasn’t to be taken seriously, it was fantasy. Now we’ve seen that the contrary was true,” he said.
The plot remains unproven. For another Italian paper, the Corriere della Sera, Benedict’s departure is an indication of the crisis at the Vatican, and of the Pope’s rebellion against an institution he failed to modernise.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…