Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 17:15 CET Berdych begins title quest, Cornet survives
- 16:33 CET Razzano serves underarm at match point, and misses
- 15:27 CET Bayliss set to become England coach – reports
- 14:58 CET Arteta may make FA Cup final, says Wenger
- 14:28 CET Blatter misled us all, says Platini
- 13:30 CET Berdych storms into French Open second round
- 13:28 CET Sheffield United sack Clough
- 11:33 CET Badminton joins SportAccord exodus over IOC attack