Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 8Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 12NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 15Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:12 CET Khan donates 30,000 pounds shorts to Peshawar school
- 20:53 CET Viktor vindicated as Russian switch pays off
- 20:44 CET Brazil capitulate under 64 years of expectation
- 20:36 CET Uncertain future for Ben Arfa as Hull loan ends early
- 20:30 CET Warrior spirit leads Nishikori to new heights
- 20:25 CET Wust skates among the greats after Sochi
- 20:18 CET What a difference a year makes for McIlroy
- 20:13 CET Germany end title drought with sparkling run in Brazil