Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:16 CET DISQ fitness fans look like action figures, train like multitaskers
- 11:13 CET Atletico need improvement before Almeria trip
- 10:38 CET Heavyweights stutter as newcomers shine in Bundesliga start
- 10:27 CET Injury-plagued Nadal pulls out of new league
- 07:54 CET All Blacks’ Cruden misses plane after boozy night
- 07:19 CET China shooters disqualified, reinstated, set world record
- 21:09 CET Police probe racist tweets to Balotelli
- 21:04 CET Pellegrini criticises Chelsea’s small team mentality