Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 11:12 CET Caterham and Marussia to miss next race – Ecclestone
- 11:09 CET Marquez takes record 13th pole in Malaysia
- 11:07 CET Sanctioned Beale not joining Wallabies on Europe tour
- 05:40 CET Australia batsmen in familiar tail-spin in Dubai
- 05:38 CET U.S., Costa Rica qualify for Women’s World Cup
- 02:02 CET PGA president fired for ‘insensitive’ remarks
- 00:18 CET Caterham F1 team set to miss next two races
- 23:13 CET Coric stuns Nadal in Basel, Federer through