Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 06:24 CET Newly elected Indonesia FA chief vows to fight back
- 06:19 CET Phelps, Lochte score wins at Mesa
- 02:13 CET Olympic course designer hopes golf wins in Rio Games
- 21:59 CET Burnley down but not out yet, says Dyche
- 21:29 CET Reading keeper’s error sees Arsenal reach FA Cup final
- 21:01 CET Marquez on pole in Argentina by hefty margin
- 20:49 CET Real’s Bale substituted with suspected calf injury
- 20:45 CET Chelsea open up 10-point lead with gritty United win