Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 03:53 CET Australia wrong to drop Haddin for third test – Ponting
- 01:30 CET Mexico fire coach Herrera after alleged punching incident
- 23:41 CET Family of black golf legend Sifford accused of stealing $1 million
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built