Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:06 CET Real not distracted by record, Ancelotti says
- 13:29 CET Brazil’s Pele improving, still in intensive care – hospital
- 13:17 CET 2015 European Games to succeed despite athletics gap
- 12:58 CET McCullum blazes to 10th ton on sombre day in Sharjah
- 12:34 CET Liverpool’s Rodgers joint favourite for the sack
- 12:20 CET Arsenal ‘unlucky’ with number of injuries, says Wenger
- 11:45 CET Keane steps down as Villa assistant manager
- 11:40 CET Charges may be filed in Liga match-fixing case next week