Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 04:11 CET Fabregas, Pochettino ready to battle old friends
- 02:02 CET Holders Real scrape past Ludogorets 2-1 in Sofia
- 01:21 CET Brazil’s Dani Alves plans to leave Barcelona
- 00:46 CET Arsenal demolish Galatasaray with Welbeck treble
- 23:50 CET Basel stun sloppy Liverpool to claim another English scalp
- 23:27 CET Atletico talisman Arda sinks Juventus
- 23:10 CET Rio 2016 progress impressive says IOC in change of tone
- 23:08 CET Ramos double drives Dortmund to 3-0 win over Anderlecht