Jaka Hvala clinched his maiden win in World Cup ski jumping in the large hill event at Klingenthal in Germany.
The 19-year-olds previous best finish on the World Cup circuit was a fifth place in Engleberg last December but he easily surpassed that with two outstanding jumps.
He scored 259.5 points to become the youngest man to win a World Cup event since Gregor Schlierenzauer’s victory at Planica in 2009.
He set the bar for his competitors with his first jump of 142.5 meters.
And it took a personal best finish to get close to the teenage victor. Taku Takeuchi was second. The Japanese jumper scored 254.6 points recording jumps of 133.5 meters and 130.5.
Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauer had to be content with third. It was the Austrian’s 78th World Cup podium finish and it means he further extended his lead at the top of the overall World Cup standings as nearest challenger Anders Bardal could only manage 22nd.
Schlierenzauer has now amassed 1260 points, Bardel is second with 766.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 05:18 CET Australia chase 128 for victory in second test
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…
- 20:54 CET F1 showed its best and worst in 2014
- 20:43 CET ‘Celtic Tiger’ McIlroy emerges dominant in 2014
- 20:38 CET Billion dollar Sochi Games a sporting success
- 20:31 CET Five talking points for sports in 2014