Marco Rubio gave the Republican Party’s response to US President Barack Obama’s State of the Union – instantly raising the profile of the Florida senator. He is considered to be a possible presidential candidate in 2016.
Rubio ripped into Obama’s plans, saying: “More government isn’t going to help you get ahead. It’s going to hold you back”.
“The idea that more taxes and more government spending is the best way to help hardworking middle class taxpayers – that’s an old idea that’s failed every time it’s been tried,” Rubio said.
“More government isn’t going to create more opportunities. It’s going to limit them.
And more government isn’t going to inspire new ideas, new businesses and new private sector jobs. It’s going to create uncertainty,” Rubio added.
Rising Republican star Rubio started the year by opposing a bill to avert a sharp decline in the US budget deficit – the so-called “fiscal cliff” – which raised taxes on high income households. He was one of only eight senators to do so.
The Florida senator, who is of Cuban descent, is seen as someone who could help the Republicans cut into the Democrats’ popularity among Latino voters.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5US steps up pressure on Hungary over corruption
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:19 CET Costa Rica intervenes to stop strike at port, arrests 68
- 04:30 CET Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- 03:53 CET Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada’s capital
- 02:00 CET Palestinian driver rams Jerusalem station killing baby
- 01:13 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but are divided over costs
- 00:43 CET At U.N., China asked to back human rights case against North Korea
- 00:36 CET Chinese peacekeepers expected in South Sudan at start of 2015 -…
- 00:12 CET Scion of Pakistan’s Bhutto dynasty throws down gauntlet to PM