A roof at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant has collapsed under the weight of snow.
There are no immediate radiation concerns.
The Emergencies Ministry said “there were no safety breaches” and no one was injured when the roof of an engine room caved in.
The accident affected an area covering 600 square metres close to the concrete sarcophagus that seals the reactor from the outside world.
The contaminated land around the plant is designated a depopulated “exclusion zone” following the April 1986 explosion, the worst nuclear power disaster in history.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:58 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants…
- 00:31 CET Kerry, Iran counterpart discuss nuclear talks, Islamic State
- 00:27 CET World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola…
- 22:29 CET Houthi rebels sign deal with Yemen parties to form new government
- 20:55 CET Forty migrants missing after raft sinks near Libya – Italy coast…
- 20:46 CET U.S. military struggles to preserve options in Islamic State fight
- 20:13 CET Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey
- 15:51 CET Iran prosecutor gives government 30 days to block social media