Romania has defended its abattoirs and a probe has cleared two producers suspected of relabelling horsemeat as beef.
The journey from slaughterhouse to ready meal in Britian and France reads like a European tour itinerary.
From Romania to Dutch and Cypriot traders to a French company then on to Luxembourg to a producer owned by a second French trader.
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta said the situation could have severe consequences for his country:
“Every European is interested in what they eat and in knowing what they eat. Last year, we had a loss of 30 per cent in agriculture because
of the drought. We should get back on track this year. But if we do not combat this credibility issue, we might wake up to see it has become something worse than the drought,” he said.
No sign of malpractise was found at the Doly-Com or Carmolimp factories in Romania, both producers say they conformed with regulations.
Paul Soneriu, General manager of Carmolimp says his company sold horsemeat as horsemeat:
“During 2012, company Carmolimp made three exports of horsemeat to Holland, representing three trucks, in total 60 tons of meat. This meat was sold as horsemeat at a price which clearly indicated that it was horsemeat. Our partner has asked for horsemeat and received, with all necessary documents, horsemeat.”
Investigations are to continue to find out at which point in the complex chain the horsemeat became beef.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
Latest world news
NATO fears Russian incursion into Turkish airspace no accident
Spain: King’s sister to appear in court on tax fraud charges
Ex-IMF chief’s passport revoked as fraud charges investigated
Air France violence puts spotlight on airline’s performance
Pollution concerns as vessels collide in North Sea
Wires > News
- 18:54 CET Flogged Saudi blogger Badawi named ‘writer of courage’ in Britain
- 18:39 CET Ivory Coast denies repressing opposition before election
- 18:31 CET France to strip five linked to 2003 Morocco attack of citizenship
- 18:24 CET French court fines magazines for Hollande snapshots with companion
- 17:35 CET West, Ukraine, hail rebel decision to postpone disputed elections
- 17:33 CET Islamic State claims suicide attacks on Yemeni government, Gulf…
- 17:29 CET Baby, maternal deaths soar in Sierra Leone on Ebola fear -…
- 17:28 CET Bosnian court jails four over recruitment of militants for Syria