13/02/13 21:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Romania has defended its abattoirs and a probe has cleared two producers suspected of relabelling horsemeat as beef.
The journey from slaughterhouse to ready meal in Britian and France reads like a European tour itinerary.
From Romania to Dutch and Cypriot traders to a French company then on to Luxembourg to a producer owned by a second French trader.
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta said the situation could have severe consequences for his country:
“Every European is interested in what they eat and in knowing what they eat. Last year, we had a loss of 30 per cent in agriculture because
of the drought. We should get back on track this year. But if we do not combat this credibility issue, we might wake up to see it has become something worse than the drought,” he said.
No sign of malpractise was found at the Doly-Com or Carmolimp factories in Romania, both producers say they conformed with regulations.
Paul Soneriu, General manager of Carmolimp says his company sold horsemeat as horsemeat:
“During 2012, company Carmolimp made three exports of horsemeat to Holland, representing three trucks, in total 60 tons of meat. This meat was sold as horsemeat at a price which clearly indicated that it was horsemeat. Our partner has asked for horsemeat and received, with all necessary documents, horsemeat.”
Investigations are to continue to find out at which point in the complex chain the horsemeat became beef.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as revolt threatens Corbyn leadership
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Millions sign referendum re-run petition
Wires > News
- 13:20 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, rocks Labour opposition
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:40 CET Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…