Romania has defended its abattoirs and a probe has cleared two producers suspected of relabelling horsemeat as beef.
The journey from slaughterhouse to ready meal in Britian and France reads like a European tour itinerary.
From Romania to Dutch and Cypriot traders to a French company then on to Luxembourg to a producer owned by a second French trader.
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta said the situation could have severe consequences for his country:
“Every European is interested in what they eat and in knowing what they eat. Last year, we had a loss of 30 per cent in agriculture because
of the drought. We should get back on track this year. But if we do not combat this credibility issue, we might wake up to see it has become something worse than the drought,” he said.
No sign of malpractise was found at the Doly-Com or Carmolimp factories in Romania, both producers say they conformed with regulations.
Paul Soneriu, General manager of Carmolimp says his company sold horsemeat as horsemeat:
“During 2012, company Carmolimp made three exports of horsemeat to Holland, representing three trucks, in total 60 tons of meat. This meat was sold as horsemeat at a price which clearly indicated that it was horsemeat. Our partner has asked for horsemeat and received, with all necessary documents, horsemeat.”
Investigations are to continue to find out at which point in the complex chain the horsemeat became beef.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 2Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Ukraine: Full ceasefire maintained in some areas, Kyiv reports
- 5Right-wing Northern League holds rally in centre of Rome
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 7Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 15Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 16Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 17‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET U.S.-Israel ties fraying over Netanyahu speech, Iran talks
- 00:26 CET Netanyahu takes Iran campaign to Jerusalem holy site
- 23:23 CET Russians to march in memory of murdered critic of Putin
- 22:45 CET Police in Germany’s Bremen heighten security citing possible…
- 20:11 CET Lorry kills protester at roadblock in southern Brazil
- 20:10 CET Kurdish rebel leader in Turkey calls for disarmament congress
- 18:51 CET Women protest on last day of Rio IOC meetings
- 18:36 CET Italy anti-immigrant Northern League rallies against Renzi