Paris Saint Germain and Juventus both took a step closer to progressing the quarter finals of the Champions league following away wins in their last 16 first leg ties.
Big-spending PSG safely negotiated their trip to Spain with a two – one win against Valencia at the Mestalla.
With new signing David Beckham eagerly watching from the stands Ezequiel Lavezzi opened up the scoring for the French capital club after just ten minutes.
Argentine international Javier Pastore hit home the second for Carlo Ancelotti’s men two minutes before the break while Adil Rami offered some hope for next month’s return leg on the 90th minute.
Although nothing is done and dusted PSG should now head into the second leg on the seventh of March in Paris confident of reaching the quarter-finals since 1995.
Juventus beat Celtic 3-0 in Glasgow to almost assure themselves a quarter-final place.
The Serie A leaders silenced a packed out Celtic Park in the first three minutes when Alessandro Matri hit the opener past Fraser Forster.
Matri was involved in the second when his neat through ball was picked up by Claudio Marchisio who calmly rounded one defender to blast the ball home.
Mirko Vučinić added to Celtic’s miserable night when the Italians took full advantage of a defending error by the Scotts on the edge of the box.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 23:32 CET PSG beat Lyon to win third successive Trophy of Champions
- 22:40 CET Pole Wlodarczyk sets hammer world record
- 22:35 CET South African Sexwale may run for FIFA presidency
- 22:10 CET Korean Ko and Taiwanese Lu share Turnberry lead
- 20:09 CET Beaten Man City let in four goals in Stuttgart friendly
- 18:59 CET ‘Shocked’ Rudisha beaten in trials for world championships
- 18:39 CET Nadal eases past Seppi to reach Hamburg final
- 17:42 CET Adam Yates wins Clasica San Sebastian