Traditionally, amputees have been offered one-size-fits-all prosthetics – functional but not particularly attractive. Now technology is blurring the line between medical devices and sculpture.
US designer Scott Summit is using a 3D printer to create a customised type of cover for a prosthetic leg.
He said: “I was always amazed it (the prosthetic) never looked like the sculpture I thought it should. They looked very utilitarian, like they came from engineers. They solved the mechanical function very well but they didn’t really address the human part of the equation. And I thought that perhaps this is where design really wants to come in and change things, make things so that you see it first thing in the morning and you get excited because you can’t wait to show it to the world.”
The person’s existing leg is scanned and the shape of the prosthetic cover is created. It can be customised with different materials – leather, chrome, heavy-duty plastic – some people even choose patterns, snakeskin or a tattoo.
Once the 3D computer scan is complete, the printing begins, building up very thin cross sectional slices until the final piece is complete.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast