Pope Benedict is to hold Mass in St Peter’s Basilica on Wednesday – perhaps the last time he does so in public.
He was due to have led a traditional Ash Wednesday service at a small church in Rome but the event was moved given the attention over the resignation.
His last address is due to take place on February 27, the day before his departure, in St Peter’s Square – which can hold hundreds of thousands of people. It had been scheduled for the Vatican’s audience hall, which has a capacity of some 10,000.
On Tuesday the Vatican revealed the Pope, who is 85, has been wearing a pacemaker since he was elected in 2005.
It said he was not resigning because of ill health, merely old age and declining mental and physical strength.
The Vatican plans a big send-off for Benedict, the first pontiff in centuries to stand down.
- 1Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 2Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 3At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 4Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 5Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 12:47 CET Greece reiterates it has responsibility to make debt payments
- 12:33 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after opening fire on colleagues…
- 12:27 CET Polish opposition cheers presidential vote win, markets uneasy
- 12:23 CET U.N. urges Lebanon to pick president, end political vacuum
- 12:05 CET About 100 U.S., European jets join Arctic exercise near Russia
- 12:01 CET Taliban truck bomb hits government offices in southern…
- 11:47 CET Indonesian minister fears govt sabotage in contaminated rice scare
- 10:38 CET Heavy fighting in Yemen’s south, aide says talks postponed