13/02/13 09:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The President’s State of the Union address always packs out Washington’s bars and pubs – where much of the clientele are involved in politics themselves and everyone has a view.
Barack Obama’s tough talk impressed the crowd in one bar near Capitol Hill, as he packed punches on the economy, gun control and withdrawing from Afghanistan.
People called the speech “bold” and “controversial”.
“There are a lot of social changes coming along slowly in this country, and I was very happy to see them talked about in the speech,” one man said.
“The international issue he mentioned about trade with the European Union, that was good to hear and I’m glad to hear the news,” another told euronews.
The President has ambitious plans and, with a House of Representatives controlled by the Republicans – euronews correspondent Stefan Grobe reports that Obama is all set for battle:
“After Obama’s visionary outlook in the inaugural address, Americans now saw Obama, the tough politician. The President approached the Republicans with an olive branch and a cattle prod. His message to the opposition was that he is ready for any fight,” Grobe said.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper
- 11:38 CET Poland’s Kaczynski says may challenge EU rule of law procedure in…