Hollywood star Matt Damon says he will not use the bathroom until the world water crisis is solved.
The Oscar-winning actor and activist, who is a co-founder of Water.org, has moved beyond a stiff “Public Service Announcement” in order to raise awareness about the millions of people who lack clean water and basic sanitation.
In a just released video, featuring a mock press conference, Damon mixed key alarming facts with a bit of deadpan humour.
“In protest of this global tragedy – until this issue is resolved, until everybody has access to clean water and sanitation – I will not go to the bathroom,” Damon says in the awareness video.
“Anybody have any idea what invention has saved more lives than any other in the history of humankind? The toilet,” the Water.org co-founder tells “reporters” in the video.
“What’s even more shocking is the catastrophic worldwide lack of clean water and sanitation. Seven-hundred-and-eighty million people – that’s twice the population of the United States – lack access to clean water. 2.5 billion people lack access to a toilet or basic sanitation. I mean, more people have cellphones than have toilets,” Damon adds.
Actress Kate Micucci, playing a reporter in the video, then asks: “Do you mean literally, like you won’t go to the bathroom, but will go somewhere else like maybe a swimming pool?”
“You’re the reporter, you do the math,” he says, and adds: “The toilet strike, it’s important.”
And Damon wants everyone to help. “Join me,” he says. “Say no to toilets. Say yes to clean water for all!”
He points out that for just 25 dollars (18.5 euros) a day, one person can get clean water for life, adding to find how you can help, visit strikewithme.org.
While Damon is unlikely to avoid going to the loo altogether, the staunch advocate is set on making his videos go viral, encouraging supporters to join his “Strike with Me” campaign leading up to World Water Day in March and, of course, generating a few laughs.
“The concept of experimenting with comedy to generate new levels of awareness and participation in the cause is something we’ve been toying with for a couple of years,” Damon told the Los Angeles Times. “If Sarah Silverman and I can generate millions of views on YouTube for something ridiculous, then we should be able to do better for one of the most important and solvable issues of our time.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Iceland’s latest volcano eruption worsens
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 9#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:14 CET Balkans hit by fresh flooding; three dead
- 11:11 CET Japan, China, South Korea finance chiefs to meet on sidelines of…
- 11:01 CET Vietnam urged to tackle ‘alarming’ rate of police abuse
- 10:59 CET Syrian war plane crashes near Islamic State-held city – resident
- 10:53 CET India says to defend China border after standoff ahead of Xi visit
- 10:50 CET Nigeria sentences 12 soldiers to death for mutiny in northeast
- 10:47 CET Islamic State supporter warns of attacks against U.S. – SITE
- 09:57 CET Protesters back El Salvador for denying gold mining permit