Hollywood star Matt Damon says he will not use the bathroom until the world water crisis is solved.
The Oscar-winning actor and activist, who is a co-founder of Water.org, has moved beyond a stiff “Public Service Announcement” in order to raise awareness about the millions of people who lack clean water and basic sanitation.
In a just released video, featuring a mock press conference, Damon mixed key alarming facts with a bit of deadpan humour.
“In protest of this global tragedy – until this issue is resolved, until everybody has access to clean water and sanitation – I will not go to the bathroom,” Damon says in the awareness video.
“Anybody have any idea what invention has saved more lives than any other in the history of humankind? The toilet,” the Water.org co-founder tells “reporters” in the video.
“What’s even more shocking is the catastrophic worldwide lack of clean water and sanitation. Seven-hundred-and-eighty million people – that’s twice the population of the United States – lack access to clean water. 2.5 billion people lack access to a toilet or basic sanitation. I mean, more people have cellphones than have toilets,” Damon adds.
Actress Kate Micucci, playing a reporter in the video, then asks: “Do you mean literally, like you won’t go to the bathroom, but will go somewhere else like maybe a swimming pool?”
“You’re the reporter, you do the math,” he says, and adds: “The toilet strike, it’s important.”
And Damon wants everyone to help. “Join me,” he says. “Say no to toilets. Say yes to clean water for all!”
He points out that for just 25 dollars (18.5 euros) a day, one person can get clean water for life, adding to find how you can help, visit strikewithme.org.
While Damon is unlikely to avoid going to the loo altogether, the staunch advocate is set on making his videos go viral, encouraging supporters to join his “Strike with Me” campaign leading up to World Water Day in March and, of course, generating a few laughs.
“The concept of experimenting with comedy to generate new levels of awareness and participation in the cause is something we’ve been toying with for a couple of years,” Damon told the Los Angeles Times. “If Sarah Silverman and I can generate millions of views on YouTube for something ridiculous, then we should be able to do better for one of the most important and solvable issues of our time.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1UN peacekeepers’ “greatest escape” from Syrian rebels as they sleep
- 2Seriously ill boy removed from UK hospital found in Spain
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 4EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 5Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 15:08 CET Lesotho PM calls for regional peace force after ‘coup’ – aide
- 14:46 CET Britain ‘deplores’ Israel decision to claim West Bank land
- 14:04 CET Both sides guilty of atrocities in Iraq fight: U.N. debate
- 14:01 CET British government says it has no contingency plans for possible…
- 13:55 CET Libya’s elected parliament asks Abdullah al-Thinni to form new…
- 13:50 CET After deadline, Iran says held serious nuclear talks with IAEA
- 13:48 CET Detained Americans in North Korea seek help in interviews with CNN
- 13:43 CET Passenger train halted by mechanical problems in China’s northwest…