Hollywood star Matt Damon says he will not use the bathroom until the world water crisis is solved.
The Oscar-winning actor and activist, who is a co-founder of Water.org, has moved beyond a stiff “Public Service Announcement” in order to raise awareness about the millions of people who lack clean water and basic sanitation.
In a just released video, featuring a mock press conference, Damon mixed key alarming facts with a bit of deadpan humour.
“In protest of this global tragedy – until this issue is resolved, until everybody has access to clean water and sanitation – I will not go to the bathroom,” Damon says in the awareness video.
“Anybody have any idea what invention has saved more lives than any other in the history of humankind? The toilet,” the Water.org co-founder tells “reporters” in the video.
“What’s even more shocking is the catastrophic worldwide lack of clean water and sanitation. Seven-hundred-and-eighty million people – that’s twice the population of the United States – lack access to clean water. 2.5 billion people lack access to a toilet or basic sanitation. I mean, more people have cellphones than have toilets,” Damon adds.
Actress Kate Micucci, playing a reporter in the video, then asks: “Do you mean literally, like you won’t go to the bathroom, but will go somewhere else like maybe a swimming pool?”
“You’re the reporter, you do the math,” he says, and adds: “The toilet strike, it’s important.”
And Damon wants everyone to help. “Join me,” he says. “Say no to toilets. Say yes to clean water for all!”
He points out that for just 25 dollars (18.5 euros) a day, one person can get clean water for life, adding to find how you can help, visit strikewithme.org.
While Damon is unlikely to avoid going to the loo altogether, the staunch advocate is set on making his videos go viral, encouraging supporters to join his “Strike with Me” campaign leading up to World Water Day in March and, of course, generating a few laughs.
“The concept of experimenting with comedy to generate new levels of awareness and participation in the cause is something we’ve been toying with for a couple of years,” Damon told the Los Angeles Times. “If Sarah Silverman and I can generate millions of views on YouTube for something ridiculous, then we should be able to do better for one of the most important and solvable issues of our time.”
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 20:28 CET Ecuador, first stop on Pope tour, highlights environment…
- 19:49 CET Boko Haram steps up attacks in northeast Nigeria
- 19:19 CET Tunisian militant chief probably died in U.S. air strike – source
- 19:08 CET After Tunisia attack, sun-seekers switch to Spain, Bulgaria and…
- 18:47 CET Hague judges give warlord’s lawyers more time to prepare
- 18:35 CET West wants to remove Russian government from power – Kremlin…
- 18:31 CET U.N. calls on Israel, Palestinians to prosecute Gaza war crimes
- 17:48 CET Saudi policeman killed during security raid – SPA agency