13/02/13 15:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French President François Hollande has held talks with Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in Paris with the leaders debating Libyan calls for Western and Arab allies to help secure the country’s borders.
There are concerns that defeated Islamist rebels, fleeing French forces in Mali, will enter Libyan territory, further destabilising the oil producer.
On Tuesday France hosted delegations from the US, Britain, Arab nations, the UN and EU working on finding practical ways of creating a more stable Libya, but nothing appears to have been decided.
Paris, London, Ankara and others did agree to provide technical support to help seal the borders, but more is needed to secure the 4,000 kilometre frontier.
The EU is also concerned about internal security and urged its nationals to leave the eastern city of Benghazi, which was the scene of the attack on the US diplomatic mission that left US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others dead last September.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 4Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 5Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Latest world news
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Canada wildfires spread south, state of emergency in place
“You can’t always get what you want” – the Rolling Stones dump Trump
Police shoot-out with UK-registered car in France
Lone woman faces down neo-Nazis in Sweden
Wires > News
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:12 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…
- 18:22 CET Protesters arrested in Uganda ahead of Museveni’s swearing-in
- 18:14 CET Militants attack Chevron platform in Niger Delta – navy spokesman