French President François Hollande has held talks with Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in Paris with the leaders debating Libyan calls for Western and Arab allies to help secure the country’s borders.
There are concerns that defeated Islamist rebels, fleeing French forces in Mali, will enter Libyan territory, further destabilising the oil producer.
On Tuesday France hosted delegations from the US, Britain, Arab nations, the UN and EU working on finding practical ways of creating a more stable Libya, but nothing appears to have been decided.
Paris, London, Ankara and others did agree to provide technical support to help seal the borders, but more is needed to secure the 4,000 kilometre frontier.
The EU is also concerned about internal security and urged its nationals to leave the eastern city of Benghazi, which was the scene of the attack on the US diplomatic mission that left US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others dead last September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 5MH17 victims to be taken to the Netherlands – Ukraine Deputy PM
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 09:13 CET India to investigate corruption in healthcare after TV sting…
- 09:03 CET China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside
- 08:41 CET Two Turkish soldiers killed in clash with suspected smugglers near…
- 08:24 CET Three foreign advisers killed near Kabul airport
- 07:56 CET Philippine Catholic bishops tell Aquino to uphold constitution
- 07:11 CET Indonesia’s likely loser in presidential race tries to delay result
- 07:07 CET Fight against domestic violence stalls in patriarchal Turkey
- 06:29 CET Body of fugitive South Korea ferry businessman found, police say