French President François Hollande has held talks with Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan in Paris with the leaders debating Libyan calls for Western and Arab allies to help secure the country’s borders.
There are concerns that defeated Islamist rebels, fleeing French forces in Mali, will enter Libyan territory, further destabilising the oil producer.
On Tuesday France hosted delegations from the US, Britain, Arab nations, the UN and EU working on finding practical ways of creating a more stable Libya, but nothing appears to have been decided.
Paris, London, Ankara and others did agree to provide technical support to help seal the borders, but more is needed to secure the 4,000 kilometre frontier.
The EU is also concerned about internal security and urged its nationals to leave the eastern city of Benghazi, which was the scene of the attack on the US diplomatic mission that left US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others dead last September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 22:34 CET Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field
- 22:31 CET Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- 22:15 CET Iran slams U.S. justice verdict on Manhattan skyscraper
- 21:52 CET U.N. envoy say Israel tried to bar him from pre-Easter rites
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status