Japan has been floored by the news wrestling will be thrown out of the Olympics. Tokyo is bidding to host the showpiece games in 2020 but it seems a sport in which the country excels will not be on the programme then. Japan won four gold medals at London 2012.
It has arguably the best women’s wrestlers in the world. The sports governing body, Fila, said in a statement it was astonished by the move and called the decision an aberration. Tomiaki Fukuda the Japan Wrestling Federation President was astonished. “The wrestling venue was full of spectators in the London Olympics. I totally can’t understand why the IOC is considering dropping it,” he said.
It’s believed one of the reasons the sport which first appeared in the ancient Olympics in 708BC lost its status was because of a perceived lack of television appeal and the failure of the sports governing body to recognise that wrestling was under threat.
At a news conference the International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said he understood the anger from some quarters.
“We follow the media and I must say that we knew even before the decision was taken that whichever sport would not be included in the core program would lead to criticism. The vote of yesterday is not an elimination of wrestling from the Olympic Games. I want to be very clear on that. First of all, wrestling will participate at the Games of Rio De Janeiro, “ he told reporters.
The changes in the Olympic programme for 2020 have to be signed off when the IOC meets in September.
- 1Messi named Europe’s best player
- 2Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
- 3Trstenjak and Nagase win gold on day four of Judo World Championships
- 4Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 5Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 1Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 2Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 3Double gold win for Japan at World Judo Championships
- 4IAAF Championships Beijing: Two Kenyan runners test positive for doping
- 5Flores wins in Tahiti five years after last major surf victory
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Vuelta a Espana: Chaves reclaims the overall race lead with stage six success
Trstenjak and Nagase win gold on day four of Judo World Championships
Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
Wires > Sport
- 07:08 CET Astro-turf unsafe for AFC Cup matches, says Rehman
- 06:51 CET Sri Lanka win toss, opt to bowl in final test against India
- 06:16 CET Bolt and Gatlin headed to Brussels, but will not meet
- 05:40 CET Australia captain Jedinak out of World Cup qualifiers
- 05:15 CET Chelsea make offer for China defender Zhang – report
- 02:11 CET Ex-FIFA official asks to live at home with pool tied to alleged…
- 02:00 CET Lucky-loser Tsurenko keeps going in New Haven
- 00:44 CET Surprise Europa League defeats for Steaua and Southampton