13/02/13 12:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Benedict XVI has made his first public appearance since his resignation at a Vatican hall filled with people and packed with emotion on Ash Wednesday.
Visibly moved, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church thanked the public for their love and prayers.
“Continue to pray for me, for the Church and for the future pope,” he said.
“Thank you for your sympathy. As you know, I have made the decision to give up the ministry that the Lord entrusted to me on April 19, 2005,” Pope Benedict XVI continued.
“I did this in freedom of conscience for the Church, after praying for a long time and after examining my conscience in front to God, conscious of the seriousness of the act – but equally aware that I’m not able anymore to carry out the ministry of Peter with the strength it requires,” the pope continued.
Benedict XVI made these statements during his weekly audience, which is part of his usual diary and which he will be continuing until he officially steps down on February 28.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…
- 17:32 CET West Africa pirates switch to kidnapping crew as oil fetches less
- 17:29 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in northern Iraq
- 17:23 CET Rebels launch assault in Syria’s Aleppo, diplomats strain to…
- 16:52 CET Turkish Nobel laureate says Erdogan’s insult charges aimed at…
- 16:40 CET Canada’s government has trouble detecting citizenship fraud -…