Pope Benedict XVI has held his last mass as pontiff at St Peter’s Basilica in Rome in front of a congregration of thousands.
He was given a standing ovation as he arrived for the Ash Wednesday service, which was also attended by dozens of cardinals and bishops.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, 40 days of prayer and fasting for many Christians leading up to Easter.
The mass was the pope’s first appearance since his shock resignation on Monday which he put down to his age. Earlier, the 85-year-old told thousands of worshippers that he was standing down for “the good of the church”.
Such was the demand to attend his last mass, the traditional venue was changed from the Roman Basilica of Santa Sabina. It also saved the pope from the exhaustion of leading a long procession.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar
- 12:07 CET Yemeni vice president arrives in Aden – airport official
- 11:27 CET Palestinian youth dies after West Bank clash with Israeli troops
- 10:26 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…