Pope Benedict XVI has held his last mass as pontiff at St Peter’s Basilica in Rome in front of a congregration of thousands.
He was given a standing ovation as he arrived for the Ash Wednesday service, which was also attended by dozens of cardinals and bishops.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, 40 days of prayer and fasting for many Christians leading up to Easter.
The mass was the pope’s first appearance since his shock resignation on Monday which he put down to his age. Earlier, the 85-year-old told thousands of worshippers that he was standing down for “the good of the church”.
Such was the demand to attend his last mass, the traditional venue was changed from the Roman Basilica of Santa Sabina. It also saved the pope from the exhaustion of leading a long procession.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 10:26 CET Modi takes tea, but no questions, in first press event as PM
- 07:48 CET South Koreans trying to launch anti-North leaflets clash with…
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 04:19 CET Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola…
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student