Pope Benedict XVI has held his last mass as pontiff at St Peter’s Basilica in Rome in front of a congregration of thousands.
He was given a standing ovation as he arrived for the Ash Wednesday service, which was also attended by dozens of cardinals and bishops.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, 40 days of prayer and fasting for many Christians leading up to Easter.
The mass was the pope’s first appearance since his shock resignation on Monday which he put down to his age. Earlier, the 85-year-old told thousands of worshippers that he was standing down for “the good of the church”.
Such was the demand to attend his last mass, the traditional venue was changed from the Roman Basilica of Santa Sabina. It also saved the pope from the exhaustion of leading a long procession.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 11:57 CET Juncker’s EU team members get parliamentary approval
- 11:52 CET Think tank says political uncertainty slowing investment in Greece
- 11:40 CET Japan PM’s woes may not end despite resignations of two ministers
- 11:12 CET Hong Kong leader says room for more democracy in panel that…
- 11:09 CET Ukraine vote candidate survives gun and grenade attack – party
- 10:53 CET Russian Energy Minister says hope for gas deal with Ukraine on…
- 10:02 CET U.S. urges Japan to be ‘bold’ in Pacific trade pact talks
- 09:54 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough