In a surprise announcement on Tuesday the International Olympic committee have recommended that wrestling be removed from the 2020 Olympic programme.
Wrestling, which has featured in the games since the inaugural edition of the modern Olympics in 1896 will now be fighting for survival against seven other sports for one spot on the programme.
IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said: “The executive board recommended that wrestling, governed by International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport”
The other sports wrestling for the one empty spot on the programme are baseball and softball, making a joint bid, martial arts karate and wushu, rollersports, wakeboarding, squash and sports climbing.
Although it is unlikely Wrestling will get back in.
The IOC will ratify its recommendation in its September session in Buenos Aires.
- 1Agbegnenou thrills the French on home tatami in judo’s Paris Grand Slam
- 2Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 3France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
- 4Jansrud claims first victory on South Korean Winter Olympic piste
- 5Formula One: Renault present car and team for 2016
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 05:47 CET Broncos win Super Bowl, Manning mum on future plans
- 05:36 CET ‘Crazy’ Chinese spending spree just the start – Cahill
- 03:47 CET Title rivals Napoli and Juve look ahead to crunch match
- 03:33 CET McCullum dismissed for 47 in final one-day innings
- 02:11 CET Matsuyama rallies to beat Fowler in Phoenix Open playoff
- 00:01 CET Fowler, Matsuyama in Phoenix Open playoff
- 22:43 CET Arsenal win at Bournemouth, United held by Chelsea
- 20:31 CET Bautista Agut wins Sofia title after beating Troicki