In a surprise announcement on Tuesday the International Olympic committee have recommended that wrestling be removed from the 2020 Olympic programme.
Wrestling, which has featured in the games since the inaugural edition of the modern Olympics in 1896 will now be fighting for survival against seven other sports for one spot on the programme.
IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said: “The executive board recommended that wrestling, governed by International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport”
The other sports wrestling for the one empty spot on the programme are baseball and softball, making a joint bid, martial arts karate and wushu, rollersports, wakeboarding, squash and sports climbing.
Although it is unlikely Wrestling will get back in.
The IOC will ratify its recommendation in its September session in Buenos Aires.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 07:32 CET Li, Federer win in Indian Wells, Nadal survives scare
- 01:57 CET PGA Tour rookie Hadley leads by one shot in Puerto Rico
- 23:58 CET Chelsea extend Spurs’ misery at Stamford Bridge
- 23:43 CET Briton Kilty steals 60 metres show in closest final
- 21:22 CET Chelsea surge clear with Tottenham drubbing
- 20:57 CET Dublin bids emotional farewell to local legend O’Driscoll
- 20:28 CET Poulter and Matsuyama end spat with handshake
- 18:28 CET Dzeko must come down to earth, says angry Bosnia coach