In a surprise announcement on Tuesday the International Olympic committee have recommended that wrestling be removed from the 2020 Olympic programme.
Wrestling, which has featured in the games since the inaugural edition of the modern Olympics in 1896 will now be fighting for survival against seven other sports for one spot on the programme.
IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said: “The executive board recommended that wrestling, governed by International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport”
The other sports wrestling for the one empty spot on the programme are baseball and softball, making a joint bid, martial arts karate and wushu, rollersports, wakeboarding, squash and sports climbing.
Although it is unlikely Wrestling will get back in.
The IOC will ratify its recommendation in its September session in Buenos Aires.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:59 CET Manchester United draw to squander chance of place in last 16
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win
- 22:31 CET Athletics-Retired Olympic medallist Devetzi fails doping test