In a surprise announcement on Tuesday the International Olympic committee have recommended that wrestling be removed from the 2020 Olympic programme.
Wrestling, which has featured in the games since the inaugural edition of the modern Olympics in 1896 will now be fighting for survival against seven other sports for one spot on the programme.
IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said: “The executive board recommended that wrestling, governed by International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport”
The other sports wrestling for the one empty spot on the programme are baseball and softball, making a joint bid, martial arts karate and wushu, rollersports, wakeboarding, squash and sports climbing.
Although it is unlikely Wrestling will get back in.
The IOC will ratify its recommendation in its September session in Buenos Aires.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > Sport
- 18:17 CET Bell steers England to victory, hosts take 2-1 Ashes lead
- 18:12 CET Jovetic leaves City for Inter Milan on loan
- 17:36 CET Argentine executive to appear in U.S. court in FIFA case
- 16:47 CET Favourite Peaty now a marked man, says Britain’s coach
- 16:34 CET Chelsea’s Costa and Cahill fit for Community Shield – Mourinho
- 16:30 CET No snow no problem as China’s financial might lands 2022 Games
- 15:27 CET Lausanne chosen as host city of 2020 Winter Youth Olympics
- 15:05 CET Brazil corruption probe threatens Rio Olympics preparations