When lightning struck the Vatican on the night of Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation, many in Rome could not help but question whether it was a sign from on high that a storm may be brewing for the Roman Catholic Church.
The Vatican is facing a raft of tough, almost unprecendented, challenges that include appointing a new pope while the current one is still alive and finding a role for the retired pontiff.
Euronews correspondent Alberto De Filipis reports from Rome on the uncertain atmosphere around the Vatican:
“The Holy See has made its official statement about what’s going on. Spokesman Father Federico Lombardi, with visible nerves, addressed journalists. Yet, a few questions remain unanswered”.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi was clear that the outgoing pope will have nothing to do with the election for his successor.
“He will be retired and not intervene in any way in the process. In that sense you can be totally sure that the cardinals will be autonomous in their decision,” Lombardi said.
The next pope will be chosen during a secret election by cardinals, called the Conclave, in the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…