When lightning struck the Vatican on the night of Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation, many in Rome could not help but question whether it was a sign from on high that a storm may be brewing for the Roman Catholic Church.
The Vatican is facing a raft of tough, almost unprecendented, challenges that include appointing a new pope while the current one is still alive and finding a role for the retired pontiff.
Euronews correspondent Alberto De Filipis reports from Rome on the uncertain atmosphere around the Vatican:
“The Holy See has made its official statement about what’s going on. Spokesman Father Federico Lombardi, with visible nerves, addressed journalists. Yet, a few questions remain unanswered”.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi was clear that the outgoing pope will have nothing to do with the election for his successor.
“He will be retired and not intervene in any way in the process. In that sense you can be totally sure that the cardinals will be autonomous in their decision,” Lombardi said.
The next pope will be chosen during a secret election by cardinals, called the Conclave, in the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 4Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 5Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
Wires > News
- 09:44 CET Cambodia revives Australia refugee deal with planned Nauru visit
- 09:20 CET Greece starts clearing makeshift migrant camp on border
- 09:17 CET Russia, Ukraine commit to Minsk accords in call with France…
- 08:44 CET French police break up refinery blockade amid anti-reform showdown
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade