12/02/13 13:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Seoul, South Korea, activists burnt the North Korean flag – at a rally against the neighbouring country’s nuclear test on February 12.
Protester Choo Sun-hee said: “As a citizen of the Republic of Korea, I want North Korea to be strongly punished for its wrongdoings.”
The South Korean government condemned North Korea for going ahead despite United Nations warnings and condemnation from the international community. Japan has called North Korea’s action “a major provocation”.
There was shock at the news on the streets of Tokyo. “Oh no, they’ve actually gone and done it. They could send one over and hit Japan now. It’s scary, it’s just so scary,” said Yumiko Kuriyama.
There was a different atmosphere in the North Korean capital Pyongyang, where many welcomed the news. Groups of people gathered in the snow to watch the television announcement that the test had been completed safely.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown