The Vatican has re-emphasised that Pope Benedict will play no role in choosing his successor.
Builders have stepped up the pace of renovation at the quarters, next to a Vatican monastery, where he will live after stepping down.
Benedict will also get a new name for his retirement but what it will be has not yet been confirmed.
Senior communications adviser with the Vatican’s Secretariat of State, Greg Burke said: “The fact that he’s going to be living in a monastery is very significant. It is something he’s wanted to do for a while, but I think it also suggests that his role is going to be a very quiet one. And that is important, so you do not have a situation of two different Popes at the same time and one influencing the other.”
A spokesman also said Benedict will not play any role in the running of the Catholic Church after he steps down.
While the renovation works at his new home are completed, Benedict will live for a time at the pope’s summer residence near Rome.
- 1Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 2Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 3Supermarket bans sugary drinks “to help cut childhood obesity”
- 4Submarine:Swedish Navy say wreck is not 2014 mystery sub
- 5EU foreign policy chief in Iran for discussions on implementing nuclear deal
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe
- 00:41 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 00:34 CET Thousands rally in Finland against lawmaker’s anti-immigration…
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 22:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV
- 20:35 CET Ukrainian military pilot faces unfair trial in Russia – lawyers