The Vatican has re-emphasised that Pope Benedict will play no role in choosing his successor.
Builders have stepped up the pace of renovation at the quarters, next to a Vatican monastery, where he will live after stepping down.
Benedict will also get a new name for his retirement but what it will be has not yet been confirmed.
Senior communications adviser with the Vatican’s Secretariat of State, Greg Burke said: “The fact that he’s going to be living in a monastery is very significant. It is something he’s wanted to do for a while, but I think it also suggests that his role is going to be a very quiet one. And that is important, so you do not have a situation of two different Popes at the same time and one influencing the other.”
A spokesman also said Benedict will not play any role in the running of the Catholic Church after he steps down.
While the renovation works at his new home are completed, Benedict will live for a time at the pope’s summer residence near Rome.
Wires > News
- 05:57 CET Iran holds run-off parliamentary election – state TV
- 05:54 CET Japan’s corpse hotels upset some of the neighbours
- 05:35 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 04:12 CET Basement fire at Shanghai Hongqiao airport kills two – People’s…
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial
- 00:26 CET Iran asks U.N. chief to intervene with U.S. after court ruling