The Vatican has re-emphasised that Pope Benedict will play no role in choosing his successor.
Builders have stepped up the pace of renovation at the quarters, next to a Vatican monastery, where he will live after stepping down.
Benedict will also get a new name for his retirement but what it will be has not yet been confirmed.
Senior communications adviser with the Vatican’s Secretariat of State, Greg Burke said: “The fact that he’s going to be living in a monastery is very significant. It is something he’s wanted to do for a while, but I think it also suggests that his role is going to be a very quiet one. And that is important, so you do not have a situation of two different Popes at the same time and one influencing the other.”
A spokesman also said Benedict will not play any role in the running of the Catholic Church after he steps down.
While the renovation works at his new home are completed, Benedict will live for a time at the pope’s summer residence near Rome.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 3US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 4Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 5Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 03:37 CET China tells pilots to improve landing skills to deal with Beijing…
- 01:40 CET Pro-sanctions U.S. lawmakers will introduce new Iran bill soon
- 00:52 CET Heavy rains paralyse Rio as residents protest, loot
- 00:38 CET Egyptian forces arrest Qataris at Al Jazeera office in Cairo -…
- 00:02 CET Russia seeks trade talks with Washington – Russian official
- 00:01 CET Blood donation collectors thrown out of Israeli parliament
- 22:52 CET Italian PM Letta wins confidence votes, vows reforms
- 22:37 CET Italy PM Letta wins confidence vote in Senate