The Vatican has re-emphasised that Pope Benedict will play no role in choosing his successor.
Builders have stepped up the pace of renovation at the quarters, next to a Vatican monastery, where he will live after stepping down.
Benedict will also get a new name for his retirement but what it will be has not yet been confirmed.
Senior communications adviser with the Vatican’s Secretariat of State, Greg Burke said: “The fact that he’s going to be living in a monastery is very significant. It is something he’s wanted to do for a while, but I think it also suggests that his role is going to be a very quiet one. And that is important, so you do not have a situation of two different Popes at the same time and one influencing the other.”
A spokesman also said Benedict will not play any role in the running of the Catholic Church after he steps down.
While the renovation works at his new home are completed, Benedict will live for a time at the pope’s summer residence near Rome.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 20:31 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 20:20 CET Venezuela says ex-intelligence head arrested in Aruba
- 20:19 CET First U.N. aid convoy enters Syria without government consent
- 20:05 CET Russian court sentences opposition leaders to 4.5 years each in…
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane