As the United Nations Security Council organised an emergency meeting to address North Korea’s nuclear test, the defiant state said it would not abide by UN restrictions anyway.
The February 12 test was North Korea’s third and largest to date. The United States and other world powers swiftly condemned it.
Even China, the isolated country’s only major ally, was critical this time. The Foreign Ministry said China is “extremely concerned”.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague stressed the importance of Beijing’s role: “There is additional pressure that can be placed on North Korea, additional sanctions that can be put in place. Of course these have the most effect if they have the strong support of China, a key nation in this regard and a permanent member of the Security Council.”
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said: “The North Korean authorities have ignored international law again, ignored UN Security Council decisions. Undoubtedly, it deserves both condemnation and an adequate reaction.”
Pyongyang is threatening more tests, and said its actions are the result of what it called “reckless hostility” from the United States.
Despite the fiery rhetoric, North Korea is not believed to be capable of launching a strike on the US though South Korea and Japan are in range of its missiles.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET U.N. council has first-ever briefing on rights in Myanmar
- 01:11 CET Lithuania minister urges pressure on Russia to stop arms at…
- 00:16 CET U.N. eyes keeping Israel off armed violations list – sources
- 00:08 CET Bombs outside two five-star Baghdad hotels kill at least 10
- 00:07 CET Rebels capture last Syrian town in Idlib province
- 00:02 CET German vice chancellor says Europe may need to move at different…
- 23:42 CET Exclusive – Mexican president misrepresented personal land deal…
- 23:03 CET North Korean nuclear, missile experts visit Iran – dissidents