North Korea has confirmed that it has successfully conducted a third nuclear test in defiance of international warnings.
Pyongyang says it used a miniaturised device that had a greater explosive force than previous tests.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the test as “deplorable” and an emergency meeting of the Security Council is to be held later.
In January North Korea announced it planned to conduct a “high-level” nuclear test, in response to expanded UN sanctions imposed after its last long-range missile test in 2012.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 5Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…
- 00:51 CET U.S. freedom of navigation operations in 2013 targeted China, Iran
- 22:27 CET Congo warlord verdict a test for flagging international court
- 22:13 CET China’s “land kings” under threat as tightening takes a toll
- 21:40 CET Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations
- 21:23 CET French, Mali troops kill 10 suspected Islamist militants