North Korea has confirmed that it has successfully conducted a third nuclear test in defiance of international warnings.
Pyongyang says it used a miniaturised device that had a greater explosive force than previous tests.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the test as “deplorable” and an emergency meeting of the Security Council is to be held later.
In January North Korea announced it planned to conduct a “high-level” nuclear test, in response to expanded UN sanctions imposed after its last long-range missile test in 2012.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 22:54 CET French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
- 22:24 CET South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15
- 22:05 CET U.N., U.S. call for investigations into Thai trafficking of…
- 21:58 CET Exclusive- Brazil report on World Cup air traffic jams at odds…
- 21:51 CET Aide to North Korean leader’s ousted uncle seeks asylum in South -…
- 21:33 CET Islamists demand fall of Libyan govt, end to oil blockades
- 21:21 CET Hagel reassures Gulf allies U.S. committed to regional security
- 20:22 CET Clashes break out in Athens on anniversary of teenager’s killing