North Korea has confirmed that it has successfully conducted a third nuclear test in defiance of international warnings.
Pyongyang says it used a miniaturised device that had a greater explosive force than previous tests.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the test as “deplorable” and an emergency meeting of the Security Council is to be held later.
In January North Korea announced it planned to conduct a “high-level” nuclear test, in response to expanded UN sanctions imposed after its last long-range missile test in 2012.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Ukraine’s deputy prime minister in talks with EU commissioner
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5Putin’s state of the nation address: “we are not trying to be a superpower”
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 06:14 CET China must befriend Tibet monks to build ‘impenetrable defence‘…
- 06:07 CET Japan, Philippines committed to assuring freedom of flight over…
- 01:16 CET U.N. confirms chemical arms were used repeatedly in Syria
- 01:01 CET Central African Republic humanitarian crisis mounts even as…
- 00:58 CET Guinea opposition says will sit in Assembly despite poll dispute
- 00:08 CET Tunisia’s Islamists and opposition reach deal on premier
- 23:23 CET Biden, Japan PM Abe discuss East China Sea dispute
- 22:24 CET White House bid to hold off Iran sanctions gains backing