So unexpected was the Pope’s resignation, that there was no chance for his potential successors to get under starter’s orders, but now they’re off, and British bookmakers have wasted no time in calling the odds.
The Ghanaian contender came out of the stalls the strongest, but Canadian and Nigerian runners are also making good ground.
Rupert Adams is a spokesman for the UK’s biggest bookies, William Hill. “Peter Turkson is the red hot favourite as it stands,” he said, “he’s been backed quite heavily, in from five to three-to-one, which would suggest that some people think that he’s a genuine contender. Another that we’ve seen a fair amount of cash for is Marc Ouellet. We put him in at 16/1 – lots of money – in to second favourite.”
Nigeria’s Francis Arinze, a joint favourite with the then Cardinal Ratzinger last time round in 2005, is also one of the front runners.
For the more adventurous gamblers the price for the prominent atheist Richard Dawkins is a devilish 666/1, and there is 1000/1 on offer for the U2 singer Bono taking over at the Vatican.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:59 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…
- 00:51 CET U.S. freedom of navigation operations in 2013 targeted China, Iran
- 22:27 CET Congo warlord verdict a test for flagging international court
- 22:13 CET China’s “land kings” under threat as tightening takes a toll
- 21:40 CET Caribbean nations consider push for slavery reparations