So unexpected was the Pope’s resignation, that there was no chance for his potential successors to get under starter’s orders, but now they’re off, and British bookmakers have wasted no time in calling the odds.
The Ghanaian contender came out of the stalls the strongest, but Canadian and Nigerian runners are also making good ground.
Rupert Adams is a spokesman for the UK’s biggest bookies, William Hill. “Peter Turkson is the red hot favourite as it stands,” he said, “he’s been backed quite heavily, in from five to three-to-one, which would suggest that some people think that he’s a genuine contender. Another that we’ve seen a fair amount of cash for is Marc Ouellet. We put him in at 16/1 – lots of money – in to second favourite.”
Nigeria’s Francis Arinze, a joint favourite with the then Cardinal Ratzinger last time round in 2005, is also one of the front runners.
For the more adventurous gamblers the price for the prominent atheist Richard Dawkins is a devilish 666/1, and there is 1000/1 on offer for the U2 singer Bono taking over at the Vatican.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 01:17 CET Peru’s Humala replaces prime minister amid political scandal
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused
- 21:23 CET Boko Haram moves unopposed in strategic Nigerian town