12/02/13 09:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has condemned as “deplorable” North Korea’s third nuclear test.
Pyongyang confirmed on Tuesday that it used a miniaturised device that had a greater explosive force than previous tests.
South Korea raised its military alert level after it detected seismic activity in an area where the north had conducted previous nuclear tests.
The UN Security Council is to hold an emergency meeting later.
Japan immediately called for sanctions against Pyongyang, despite the North warning that earlier UN sanctions would push it to undertake the third test.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said: “We are considering taking independent sanctions against North Korea. In addition, we will make use of all possible measures to solve the issue. I have given clear instructions to prepare for the unforeseen.”
Britain and Russia also condemned today’s nuclear test which came despite hopes new leader Kim Jong-un would reverse his father’s military policies and seek to rebuild the country’s tiny economy.
Before the test, the north vowed to continue firing powerful long-range rockets, referring to a December launch which was seen as a test of ballistic missile technology.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
North Korea plutonium production resumed – US intelligence chief
Last minute surge in voting in New Hampshire Primary
US election: Expect the unexpected in the New Hampshire Primary
Syria: UN warns of siege and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Wires > News
- 01:19 CET Forensic team finds remains in Mexico dump, but no sign of 43…
- 00:37 CET White House – disputes over South China Sea must not involve…
- 00:21 CET Insurgents Trump and Sanders seek lift at New Hampshire primary
- 00:19 CET French plan advances to strip passports from those convicted of…
- 23:39 CET Iraq’s troubled finances slow efforts to rebuild Ramadi
- 23:17 CET Founding members say European Union is in bad shape
- 23:07 CET U.S. looks to shore up allies’ support to battle Islamic State
- 22:36 CET Obama proposes $4.1 trillion spending plan in final White House…