Same-sex marriage in France took a major step towards becoming legal when the National Assembly approved a controversial draft law.
It is the most divisive reform of Francois Hollande’s socialist presidency.
A delighted leader of the Socialist MPs in the Assembly, Bruno Le Roux said: “We won’t judge people in terms of their sexual orientation
by differentiating any more. It’s one fewer difference to be made, so it really is a great day for equal rights.”
Opposition to the marriage-for-all law, which includes the right to adopt, is still strong from conservatives in predominantly Catholic France, along with many French Muslims and evangelical Christians.
One of the loudest opposition voices, Frigide Barjot said: “The debate will continue and resume at the Senate where senators will be able to say why the adoption law – which creates a new line of descent not based on blood, without a father and mother for a child, will have very serious consequences.”
The bill has prompted hundreds of thousands of protesters from both sides to demonstrate in several events. A poll last month suggested a pretty even split in the population, with the pro-camp slightly ahead.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 10:40 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 09:33 CET South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue…
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide
- 07:57 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer