Same-sex marriage in France took a major step towards becoming legal when the National Assembly approved a controversial draft law.
It is the most divisive reform of Francois Hollande’s socialist presidency.
A delighted leader of the Socialist MPs in the Assembly, Bruno Le Roux said: “We won’t judge people in terms of their sexual orientation
by differentiating any more. It’s one fewer difference to be made, so it really is a great day for equal rights.”
Opposition to the marriage-for-all law, which includes the right to adopt, is still strong from conservatives in predominantly Catholic France, along with many French Muslims and evangelical Christians.
One of the loudest opposition voices, Frigide Barjot said: “The debate will continue and resume at the Senate where senators will be able to say why the adoption law – which creates a new line of descent not based on blood, without a father and mother for a child, will have very serious consequences.”
The bill has prompted hundreds of thousands of protesters from both sides to demonstrate in several events. A poll last month suggested a pretty even split in the population, with the pro-camp slightly ahead.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Two killed, 100 injured in gas explosion in Taiwan – Xinhua
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature