EU finance ministers met in Brussels on Tuesday amid French concern over the strength of the euro.
Paris says the value of the single currency should not be left to the markets.
Officials are also continuing work on a planned banking union.
French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici said they would plough on with proposals for a Europe-wide deposit guarantee scheme.
He said he had “raised the possibility of directly injecting cash from the ESM” (the eurozone’s permanent bailout fund) into sick banks.
France worries that an overly strong euro will blunt the eurozone’s competitiveness, crippling exports and growth.
The question is whether the European Central Bank would be prepared to make such a drastic intervention amid German fears that would compromise its independence.
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said the EU would aim to strike a series of common positions ahead of a G20 meeting in Moscow.
Finance ministers and central bank governors will meet in the Russian capital from Friday with a so-called currency war at the top of their agenda, she said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 4China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 5Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 10Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 11Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 12Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 14Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 15Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 16Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 17EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 18Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 19EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment