EU finance ministers met in Brussels on Tuesday amid French concern over the strength of the euro.
Paris says the value of the single currency should not be left to the markets.
Officials are also continuing work on a planned banking union.
French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici said they would plough on with proposals for a Europe-wide deposit guarantee scheme.
He said he had “raised the possibility of directly injecting cash from the ESM” (the eurozone’s permanent bailout fund) into sick banks.
France worries that an overly strong euro will blunt the eurozone’s competitiveness, crippling exports and growth.
The question is whether the European Central Bank would be prepared to make such a drastic intervention amid German fears that would compromise its independence.
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said the EU would aim to strike a series of common positions ahead of a G20 meeting in Moscow.
Finance ministers and central bank governors will meet in the Russian capital from Friday with a so-called currency war at the top of their agenda, she said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news