EU finance ministers met in Brussels on Tuesday amid French concern over the strength of the euro.
Paris says the value of the single currency should not be left to the markets.
Officials are also continuing work on a planned banking union.
French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici said they would plough on with proposals for a Europe-wide deposit guarantee scheme.
He said he had “raised the possibility of directly injecting cash from the ESM” (the eurozone’s permanent bailout fund) into sick banks.
France worries that an overly strong euro will blunt the eurozone’s competitiveness, crippling exports and growth.
The question is whether the European Central Bank would be prepared to make such a drastic intervention amid German fears that would compromise its independence.
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said the EU would aim to strike a series of common positions ahead of a G20 meeting in Moscow.
Finance ministers and central bank governors will meet in the Russian capital from Friday with a so-called currency war at the top of their agenda, she said.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news