EU finance ministers met in Brussels on Tuesday amid French concern over the strength of the euro.
Paris says the value of the single currency should not be left to the markets.
Officials are also continuing work on a planned banking union.
French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici said they would plough on with proposals for a Europe-wide deposit guarantee scheme.
He said he had “raised the possibility of directly injecting cash from the ESM” (the eurozone’s permanent bailout fund) into sick banks.
France worries that an overly strong euro will blunt the eurozone’s competitiveness, crippling exports and growth.
The question is whether the European Central Bank would be prepared to make such a drastic intervention amid German fears that would compromise its independence.
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said the EU would aim to strike a series of common positions ahead of a G20 meeting in Moscow.
Finance ministers and central bank governors will meet in the Russian capital from Friday with a so-called currency war at the top of their agenda, she said.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news