The second anniversary of the departure of the Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak has been marked by protests demanding the resignation of President Mohamed Mursi.
The clashes were less violent than during previous outbreaks of unrest. But water cannon and teargas were used from inside the presidential compound to disperse youths throwing rocks from outside.
They accuse Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood of hijacking Egypt’s revolution and seeking to monopolise power.
The trouble followed an earlier peaceful march by thousands of demonstrators.
Riot police later chased the protesters away from the palace and into side-streets.
Among other demands, the demonstrators want the authorities held to account for the deaths of dozens of people during the recent troubles.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 17:31 CET French far-right leader Marine Le Pen in Moscow amid Ukraine…
- 17:21 CET India’s Modi urges farmers to boost output, skirts issue of rural…
- 17:18 CET France’s Sarkozy, on comeback trail, wins right to rename party
- 17:12 CET Nigeria fuel distribution resumes but disruption persists
- 17:10 CET Syria says carries out deadly air raid on Islamic State stronghold
- 17:04 CET Charities unsure Modi’s first year brought ‘good days’ for India
- 16:58 CET Exclusive – Captured video appears to show foreign fighters in…
- 16:34 CET No Iran sanctions relief before end 2015 at best – German envoy