12/02/13 01:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The second anniversary of the departure of the Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak has been marked by protests demanding the resignation of President Mohamed Mursi.
The clashes were less violent than during previous outbreaks of unrest. But water cannon and teargas were used from inside the presidential compound to disperse youths throwing rocks from outside.
They accuse Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood of hijacking Egypt’s revolution and seeking to monopolise power.
The trouble followed an earlier peaceful march by thousands of demonstrators.
Riot police later chased the protesters away from the palace and into side-streets.
Among other demands, the demonstrators want the authorities held to account for the deaths of dozens of people during the recent troubles.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 21:37 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 21:21 CET France’s Hollande reshuffles cabinet with eye on 2017 election
- 21:11 CET Exclusive – Brother of ex-Chinese official sharing golf secrets in…
- 21:08 CET Saudi warns U.N., aid workers to leave rebel-held areas in Yemen
- 20:39 CET Gloom at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 20:31 CET Obama, Netanyahu may agree defence deal in Washington next month…
- 20:07 CET Russia boosts ties with Iraq in challenge to U.S. influence
- 20:04 CET Kremlin critic Navalny files lawsuit against Putin