Supporters of Pope Benedict gathered in St. Peter’s Square in Rome as news of his resignation began to sink in. They may have been few in number now but a steady build up of followers is expected over the next few weeks. Monday’s late night serenade for the Pontiff was accompainied by banners and chants of encouragement.
In Paris a special service was held in Notre Dame.
While some worshippers said Pope Benedict should not be standing down others valued his contribution during his eight year tenure.
One woman said: “I think he was different from Jean Paul II who was very charismatic. Benedict XVI told the truth with a simplicity that touched everyone.”
In Bethlehem local residents said the Pope’s decision was unexpected but considered it a positive move with many looking to the future.
“As a Palestinian Christian, what I would expect, and what I hope for and pray for actually, is that the coming Pope will be even more invested and more concerned with the end of occupation on the Palestinian lands,” said a one local.
In Jerusalem the mood was of acceptance, with many applauding what they described as Benedict’s courageous move to make way for a younger hands.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
Wires > News
- 20:19 CET Turkish military shelled Kurdish militia in Syria – government…
- 20:03 CET Pope presses Mexico president, bishops on corruption and drugs
- 19:30 CET Afghan Taliban use captured Humvees in suicide attack
- 19:06 CET Irish government parties’ support falls two weeks from election -…
- 19:04 CET Paris Pinacotheque museum closes as visitor numbers drop post…
- 18:51 CET Italian student showed signs of electrocution – Egypt forensic…
- 18:48 CET Outgoing U.S. commander says mission in Afghanistan not changing
- 18:46 CET Libyan naval forces in Tripoli say have seized foreign tanker