Supporters of Pope Benedict gathered in St. Peter’s Square in Rome as news of his resignation began to sink in. They may have been few in number now but a steady build up of followers is expected over the next few weeks. Monday’s late night serenade for the Pontiff was accompainied by banners and chants of encouragement.
In Paris a special service was held in Notre Dame.
While some worshippers said Pope Benedict should not be standing down others valued his contribution during his eight year tenure.
One woman said: “I think he was different from Jean Paul II who was very charismatic. Benedict XVI told the truth with a simplicity that touched everyone.”
In Bethlehem local residents said the Pope’s decision was unexpected but considered it a positive move with many looking to the future.
“As a Palestinian Christian, what I would expect, and what I hope for and pray for actually, is that the coming Pope will be even more invested and more concerned with the end of occupation on the Palestinian lands,” said a one local.
In Jerusalem the mood was of acceptance, with many applauding what they described as Benedict’s courageous move to make way for a younger hands.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 3Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 4The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 06:16 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China
- 04:44 CET Six Malaysians, eight Chinese arrested in A$200 million Australian…
- 04:37 CET Japan to cut emphasis on nuclear in next energy plan – sources
- 04:36 CET Thai queen undergoes medical tests, palace says in rare statement
- 04:12 CET After sea spat, China pledges deeper defence ties with Indonesia