A mini bus has exploded at a crossing point between Turkey and Syria killing 14 people including Turkish citizens. Dozens more were wounded.
It is believed the vehicle may have been packed with explosives. The border post is used by Syrian refugees fleeing the fighting in their homeland and is one of the main crossing points for humanitarian aid into Syria,
The incident happened on the Turkish side near the town of Reyhanli.
The blast was meant to target a Syrian National Council opposition delegation, the group said on Tuesday, but the Turkish authorities said it was too early to apportion blame.
“This is a terrorist act. We are working on several alternatives. It was probably carried out by a Syrian,” Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler told reporters in parliament.
A statement by the Syrian National Council (SNC), an exile opposition group, said the bombing occurred as a delegation of the SNC leadership was expected to pass through the crossing on its way back from the Syrian city of Aleppo.
Over the border at Tabqa, Syrian rebels claim to have captured a hydro-electric dam.
According to a British based Syrian human rights group, Islamist fighters are in control of the dam which is Syria’s biggest.
Although the move will have little impact on already patchy power supplies, opposition activists say it is more evidence of the growing pressure on President Bashar al Assad.
Syrian opposition fighters have also captured a military airport near the northern city of Aleppo on Tuesday in another military setback for al-Assad’s forces.
The airport is the latest military facility to fall under rebel control in a strategic region situated between Syria’s industrial and commercial centre and the country’s oil- and wheat- producing heartland to the east.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 5Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: suspected wing debris arrives in France for analysis
Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
Fears of upsurge in violence following death of Palestinian infant
Ebola vaccine trial shows 100% effectiveness in Guinea
Germany suspends treason investigation into news website
Wires > News
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…