Barclays is cutting at least 3,700 jobs as part of its revival plan, with many of those in Europe.
New Chief Executive Antony Jenkins, who is trying to rebuild Barclays’ reputation and boost profitability, is also taking a harder line on pay cutting average bonuses for its investment bankers by seventeen percent from last year.
Jenkins said Barclays would put ethics above earnings: “Barclays is changing. There will be no going back to the old way of doing things. We get it, we are changing the way we do business, we are changing the type of business we do.”
“We must act at all times with good values,” he said at a news conference.
He has halted trading in soft commodities “for speculative purposes” and closed its structured capital markets division, which one British lawmaker last week said advised clients on “industrial scale tax avoidance”.
Annual costs will be slashed by just under two billion euros and the bank’s focus will be on Britain, the US and Africa with a reduction in its presence in continental Europe and Asia.
Around 1,900 of the job cuts are in Barclays’ European retail and business banking divisions, with 1,100 in Spain and 350 in Portugal.
Another 1,800 are in corporate and investment banking. Barclays’ Finance Director Chris Lucas said 1,600 of the investment bank cuts had already been made.
Jenkins said he expects his ‘Project Transform’ plan to take five to 10 years to rebuild Barclays, and he has told staff they should leave if they do not want to sign up to the new standards.
The bank has been dogged by a series of scandals, including rigging Libor interbank lending rates which cost it a 335 million euro fine.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Rouble’s slump continues despite huge interest rate hike by Russian central bank
- 2A frightening business: Halloween scares up plenty of profit
- 3A week of endings: ECB completes stress-tests, Federal Reserve stops QE3
- 4Bank of Japan forced to boost stimulus as economy flounders
- 5Over 50 countries sign up to fight against global tax evasion
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > Business
- 03:59 CET J.P. Morgan found hackers through breach of corporate event…
- 03:50 CET Foreign access to China’s card clearing market next August – report
- 03:47 CET China’s October factory growth unexpectedly slips to five-month…
- 03:17 CET China’s October official PMI edges down to 50.8
- 03:17 CET South Korea exports rise 2.5 percent in October, trade surplus at…
- 02:19 CET China’s October official PMI edges down to 50.8
- 02:05 CET J.P. Morgan found hackers through breach of corporate event…
- 01:45 CET Mexico could help realise Central America economic plan – ministry