The 110th annual American International Toy Fair is one of the largest toy and youth product marketplaces in the world, bringing together more than 1,000 exhibiting manufacturers, distributors, importers and sales agents from around the globe. New technologies are combined with classical elements. Classic dolls like Barbie continue to add digital elements. But more than ever, almost every product has an app element.
Mattel showed off its Imaginext Fortress, with a bay for an iPad and Disney Princess Castle works interactively with the iPad.
“ There’s lots of connectivity with technology. We are amplifying play, we are connecting to apps,” said Mattel Senior Vice President Lisa McKnight.
New technologies are integrated in almost all new toys. But retro is also alive and kicking.
“Retro and classic is also another huge trend so you are seeing toys from my childhood and my parents, my grandparents’ childhood which is a great way to engage families in intergenerational play. So there is really something out there for everybody,” says Adrienne Appell of the Toy Industry Association.
Toymakers are expanding their marketing platforms as much as their product lines. They have found that sometimes social media and blogs work better than normal advertising.
“We are also using digital marketing more actively and we are finding that the best way to talk about your brand is to have brand advocates out there in the world. So when you look at a brand like “My Little Pony” for example we have this incredible base of consumers who are blogging about it, talking about it, and tweeting about it,” says Hasbro’s John Frascotti.
And reaching children and parents where they tweet, not just where they meet, could be the best connection of all.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 13Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 14[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank