Hopes of achieving a Guinness world record for the biggest street party at the Rio carnival were dashed on Sunday.
The city hoped to attracted around 2.3 million people to the festival in one single day but fell short when only 1.8 million visitors arrived.
But Hollywood actor Will Smith did show up, joining revellers for day three of the world’s most famous carnival.
Seventy-thousand people packed into the purpose-built parade area, the Sambadrome where twelve elite samba schools are vying for the title of Carnival champion.
Each school has an hour and twenty-minutes to convince the jury during a fiercely contested showdown.
This year’s carnival is an extra chance for Rio to show off. It’ll be one of 12 cities hosting next year’s World Cup as well as the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’