Hopes of achieving a Guinness world record for the biggest street party at the Rio carnival were dashed on Sunday.
The city hoped to attracted around 2.3 million people to the festival in one single day but fell short when only 1.8 million visitors arrived.
But Hollywood actor Will Smith did show up, joining revellers for day three of the world’s most famous carnival.
Seventy-thousand people packed into the purpose-built parade area, the Sambadrome where twelve elite samba schools are vying for the title of Carnival champion.
Each school has an hour and twenty-minutes to convince the jury during a fiercely contested showdown.
This year’s carnival is an extra chance for Rio to show off. It’ll be one of 12 cities hosting next year’s World Cup as well as the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:29 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper