A tornado described as around 1.6 kilometres wide has struck the US state of Mississippi. In its path was the city of Hattiesburg.
The twister tore down one of the main streets, causing severe damage to homes, commercial buildings and the University of Southern Mississippi.
At least 13 people were injured and the state governor has declared an emergency. The tornado surprised many as they are less common in winter.
Elsewhere in the US, a mass clean-up is underway after a blizzard dumped around a metre of snowfall along the northeast belt.
Nine people were killed and the storm left hundreds of thousands without power between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast.
Nearly 6,000 flights were cancelled over the weekend and cars were ordered to stay off the roads.
New York avoided the worst of the blast but in nearby Long Island, even snow ploughs got stuck.
The midwest is bracing itself next as the winter storm moves further inland.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:34 CET New Zealand prime minister aims for flag change vote next year
- 07:05 CET Insight – Ferry disaster weighs on South Korean president steeled…
- 06:15 CET One in five Hong Kong residents consider leaving over cloudy…
- 04:08 CET Blasts in China’s Xinjiang kill two; government censures officials
- 01:58 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants…
- 00:31 CET Kerry, Iran counterpart discuss nuclear talks, Islamic State
- 00:27 CET World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola…
- 22:29 CET Houthi rebels sign deal with Yemen parties to form new government