A tornado described as around 1.6 kilometres wide has struck the US state of Mississippi. In its path was the city of Hattiesburg.
The twister tore down one of the main streets, causing severe damage to homes, commercial buildings and the University of Southern Mississippi.
At least 13 people were injured and the state governor has declared an emergency. The tornado surprised many as they are less common in winter.
Elsewhere in the US, a mass clean-up is underway after a blizzard dumped around a metre of snowfall along the northeast belt.
Nine people were killed and the storm left hundreds of thousands without power between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast.
Nearly 6,000 flights were cancelled over the weekend and cars were ordered to stay off the roads.
New York avoided the worst of the blast but in nearby Long Island, even snow ploughs got stuck.
The midwest is bracing itself next as the winter storm moves further inland.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat
- 21:25 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal
- 20:50 CET New York man charged with supporting Islamic State denied bail
- 20:29 CET Al Qaeda in Syria says detains U.S.-trained rebels