A tornado described as around 1.6 kilometres wide has struck the US state of Mississippi. In its path was the city of Hattiesburg.
The twister tore down one of the main streets, causing severe damage to homes, commercial buildings and the University of Southern Mississippi.
At least 13 people were injured and the state governor has declared an emergency. The tornado surprised many as they are less common in winter.
Elsewhere in the US, a mass clean-up is underway after a blizzard dumped around a metre of snowfall along the northeast belt.
Nine people were killed and the storm left hundreds of thousands without power between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast.
Nearly 6,000 flights were cancelled over the weekend and cars were ordered to stay off the roads.
New York avoided the worst of the blast but in nearby Long Island, even snow ploughs got stuck.
The midwest is bracing itself next as the winter storm moves further inland.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border