A tornado described as around 1.6 kilometres wide has struck the US state of Mississippi. In its path was the city of Hattiesburg.
The twister tore down one of the main streets, causing severe damage to homes, commercial buildings and the University of Southern Mississippi.
At least 13 people were injured and the state governor has declared an emergency. The tornado surprised many as they are less common in winter.
Elsewhere in the US, a mass clean-up is underway after a blizzard dumped around a metre of snowfall along the northeast belt.
Nine people were killed and the storm left hundreds of thousands without power between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast.
Nearly 6,000 flights were cancelled over the weekend and cars were ordered to stay off the roads.
New York avoided the worst of the blast but in nearby Long Island, even snow ploughs got stuck.
The midwest is bracing itself next as the winter storm moves further inland.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 2Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 3International concern grows after fighting in Ukraine escalates
- 4Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 5Tsipras pledges end to ‘vicious cycle of austerity’ at victory speech in Greece
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:20 CET Turkey opens biggest refugee camp for 35,000 from Kobani
- 10:03 CET U.S. East Coast braces, flights cancelled as ‘historic’ blizzard…
- 09:00 CET Two killed as South Africa township looting spree spreads
- 08:29 CET China hospital staff demand better security after deadly brawl
- 07:34 CET Rain on India’s parade, but Obama visit keeps spirits high
- 07:27 CET Tsipras moves to form anti-austerity Greek government after…
- 07:08 CET Deputy of Indonesia’s anti-graft body to resign – agency official
- 05:58 CET Australia knights Prince Philip, sparking national outrage