A tornado described as around 1.6 kilometres wide has struck the US state of Mississippi. In its path was the city of Hattiesburg.
The twister tore down one of the main streets, causing severe damage to homes, commercial buildings and the University of Southern Mississippi.
At least 13 people were injured and the state governor has declared an emergency. The tornado surprised many as they are less common in winter.
Elsewhere in the US, a mass clean-up is underway after a blizzard dumped around a metre of snowfall along the northeast belt.
Nine people were killed and the storm left hundreds of thousands without power between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast.
Nearly 6,000 flights were cancelled over the weekend and cars were ordered to stay off the roads.
New York avoided the worst of the blast but in nearby Long Island, even snow ploughs got stuck.
The midwest is bracing itself next as the winter storm moves further inland.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 10:02 CET U.S. urges Japan to be ‘bold’ in Pacific trade pact talks
- 09:54 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- 09:43 CET Pilots threaten more strikes as Lufthansa walkout continues
- 08:52 CET Fukushima film shows reality sinking in for ‘nuclear refugees’
- 08:13 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…
- 07:11 CET Exclusive – Iran offers ‘compromises’ in nuclear talks, West…
- 05:49 CET China likely to close ‘gift’ loophole in corruption fight
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California