Pope Benedict announced his planned resignation on Monday and the Vatican put out this official statement:
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.
After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.
However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.
For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.
And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2[LIVE] Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 11Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 18:26 CET Germanwings offers emotional damage payments to crash victims‘…
- 18:06 CET Iran, powers give themselves to July 7 to strike deal
- 17:31 CET Ugandan opposition leader prepares fourth presidential challenge
- 17:19 CET UK and Netherlands become less migrant-friendly – index
- 17:09 CET Kremlin critic Khodorkovsky named as murder suspect in Russia
- 16:46 CET Egypt’s Sisi promises tougher legal system at prosecutor’s funeral
- 16:19 CET Insight – In Yemen chaos, Islamic State grows to rival al Qaeda
- 16:15 CET Kuwait says in “state of war” with militants, warns of other cells