Pope Benedict announced his planned resignation on Monday and the Vatican put out this official statement:
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.
After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.
However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.
For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.
And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
Paris terror attack victims honoured at national memorial service
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
Paris terror victims honoured in national memorial service
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Wires > News
- 16:10 CET Germans to give more to charity, spend less on Christmas presents
- 16:03 CET Even in Chavez’s hometown, Venezuela ‘revolution’ ails before…
- 15:55 CET Burkina Faso to choose first new leader in three decades
- 15:53 CET Tunisia bus bomber arrested, freed before attack
- 15:51 CET Brazil dam disaster shows flaws in decrepit mining regulator
- 15:35 CET Iranian hard-liners said to intensify crackdown ahead of key votes
- 15:22 CET Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist’s…
- 15:15 CET NATO split on message to send Georgia on membership hopes