Pope Benedict announced his planned resignation on Monday and the Vatican put out this official statement:
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.
After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.
However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.
For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.
And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Iceland’s latest volcano eruption worsens
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:09 CET Ukraine ratifies EU deal, offers special status to rebels
- 17:01 CET South Africa postpones child travel rules opposed by tourism…
- 16:50 CET South Sudan sets limits on hiring foreign workers
- 16:47 CET U.N. says Palestinians, Israelis reach deal on Gaza reconstruction
- 16:43 CET India should be more proactive on Tibet – Dalai Lama aide on eve…
- 16:38 CET More austerity, reforms ahead for Finland, PM Stubb says
- 16:35 CET French PM urges more EU budget flexibility, weaker euro
- 16:15 CET Zambian minister, Dangote in spat over graft allegation