Pope Benedict announced his planned resignation on Monday and the Vatican put out this official statement:
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.
After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.
However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.
For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.
And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
- 13D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 2French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 3NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 4France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 53D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Wires > News
- 01:58 CET Merkel, Hollande to present common front for EU in crisis
- 01:15 CET Kerry arrives in Haiti to offer U.S. support ahead of elections
- 00:41 CET Guinea-Bissau president rejects proposed government
- 00:33 CET Homicides in El Salvador rise 72 percent as gang violence increases
- 00:02 CET Burkina Faso court charges general, ex-minister over coup
- 23:10 CET Portuguese president asks Passos Coelho to form new government
- 23:05 CET Canada wives join electoral fray but lack Michelle Obama’s star…
- 22:56 CET Ivory Coast opposition candidate suspends participation in…