Shockwaves are being felt around the world following the resignation announcement of Pope Benedict XVI – nowhere more so than in central Rome.
A nun on St Peter’s Square expressed her sorrow, telling euronews: “It’s really surprising. We didn’t expect that. We’re very sorry because we loved him so much. The world is turning upside down but our destiny is in God’s hands. “
Some suspect the Vatican may have pushed the ageing pope out. “He might have been forced to resign. It’s something that hasn’t happened for 500 years, I’ve heard,” one woman said.
Others looked ahead to Benedict XVI’s potential successors. “Even before Cardinal Ratzinger’s election, people were talking about a black pope, so since then we have been waiting for a black pope,” another woman suggested.
As speculation heats up about who might replace him, the pope himself is expected to make a speech on Ash Wedneday.
Euronews reporter in Rome Loredana Pianta reported: “It’s an incredible piece of news. Catholics and the rest of the world still find it difficult to believe that the pope could step down and now everybody is keen to hear directly from him the reasons why.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Malaysia plane: oil rig worker reports a “burning plane” as search continues
- 4Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 5Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 21:17 CET Thousands clash with police as Turkish teenager buried
- 21:16 CET Algerian premier to quit to run Bouteflika election campaign -…
- 21:15 CET Israel’s parliament toughens referendum-on-peace law
- 20:50 CET Assad visits displaced Syrians outside Damascus – TV
- 20:44 CET Somalia, peacekeepers launch offensive against militants – U.N.
- 20:01 CET EU ready to help Bosnia speed up reforms after protests – Ashton
- 19:46 CET UAE summons Iraq ambassador over Saudi “terrorism” charge
- 18:46 CET NYC buildings explosion kills two, more missing