In Mali, French forces are leading efforts to secure the centre of Gao after Islamist rebels launched an attack on the town at the weekend.
Malian troops have been searching house-to-house for militants.
The guerilla strike has raised fears that France might become bogged down in a long and messy conflict there.
Two weeks ago Malian troops and French units cleared Gao of Islamists who had taken over the northern part of the country last year.
It was a brazen backlash by the rebels, who infiltrated the town after two suicide blasts at the weekend.
Four thousand French troops were deployed after a plea for help from the Mali administration, fearful that the Islamists were moving south towards the capital.
After encountering little resistance from the rebels so far, this latest attack shows the French to be vulnerable to hit-and-run strikes.
Mali’s defence minister said three raiders were killed and 11 taken prisoner. Doctors said civilians died too, caught in crossfire.
The raiders engaged troops with assault weapons and rocket-propelled grenades for five hours.
The French government has said it wants to start withdrawing troops next month, to be replaced by an African force.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:27 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 20:15 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday