Heavy gunfire and running street battles between Malian troops and suspected Islamist insurgents erupted in the town of Gao only hours after a foiled suicide bomb attack.
It was reported French soldiers may have also taken part in the clashes.
Much of the fighting has centred on a police station where al Qaeda linked rebels were said to be holed up.
Malian Defence Minister Yamoussa Camara said three of the Islamist raiders who has sneaked back into the town were killed and 11 taken prisoner, while some Malian soldiers were wounded in the street fighting.
A doctor in Gao’s hospital, Noulaye Djiteyi, said three civilians were killed and 11 injured by gunshot wounds. The
casualties were hit by stray bullets in the gunbattle.
Gao was retaken by French and Malian troops just over two weeks ago. It was thought all of the Islamists had been driven out.
The rapid speed of the French intervention to oust insurgents from Mali’s north appears to have left the rear of their forward lines vulnerable, with Mali’s weak army unable to make safe the recaptured zones.
The surprise raid by insurgents comes after Saturday’s suicide bomber attempt near a checkpoint at a northern entrance to the town.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Search resumes for clues as to why Germanwings plane crashed in French Alps
- 3[Live updates] Germanwings crash investigators still searching for second Black Box
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Germanwings crash: Witnesses describe moment of impact
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:04 CET Exclusive – Modi government puts brakes on India’s universal…
- 21:38 CET Yemeni leader Hadi leaves country as Saudi Arabia keeps up air…
- 20:31 CET Pope Francis meets homeless on private visit to Sistine Chapel
- 20:09 CET Arab foreign ministers agree on unified military force
- 20:00 CET Israeli settlements may have already killed two-state bid – U.N.
- 19:39 CET Displacement doubles in north Cameroon in flight from Boko Haram
- 19:35 CET German police search house of pilot who flew A320 into mountain
- 19:28 CET Rouhani speaks with French, British, Russian leaders as nuclear…