Heavy gunfire and running street battles between Malian troops and suspected Islamist insurgents erupted in the town of Gao only hours after a foiled suicide bomb attack.
It was reported French soldiers may have also taken part in the clashes.
Much of the fighting has centred on a police station where al Qaeda linked rebels were said to be holed up.
Malian Defence Minister Yamoussa Camara said three of the Islamist raiders who has sneaked back into the town were killed and 11 taken prisoner, while some Malian soldiers were wounded in the street fighting.
A doctor in Gao’s hospital, Noulaye Djiteyi, said three civilians were killed and 11 injured by gunshot wounds. The
casualties were hit by stray bullets in the gunbattle.
Gao was retaken by French and Malian troops just over two weeks ago. It was thought all of the Islamists had been driven out.
The rapid speed of the French intervention to oust insurgents from Mali’s north appears to have left the rear of their forward lines vulnerable, with Mali’s weak army unable to make safe the recaptured zones.
The surprise raid by insurgents comes after Saturday’s suicide bomber attempt near a checkpoint at a northern entrance to the town.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 3All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 4Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 5Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
Sand sculptures stun beach-goers in Florida Keys
Monarch butterflies make annual migration to Mexico
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 14:34 CET EU seeks Turkish help to slow migrants for cash, EU membership…
- 14:07 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…
- 13:34 CET Paris attacks a risk for recovery in Italy – minister tells…
- 13:31 CET Ukraine tightens control over foreign charter flights
- 13:14 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 13:02 CET World climate rallies put pressure on Paris summit to act