Heavy gunfire and running street battles between Malian troops and suspected Islamist insurgents erupted in the town of Gao only hours after a foiled suicide bomb attack.
It was reported French soldiers may have also taken part in the clashes.
Much of the fighting has centred on a police station where al Qaeda linked rebels were said to be holed up.
Malian Defence Minister Yamoussa Camara said three of the Islamist raiders who has sneaked back into the town were killed and 11 taken prisoner, while some Malian soldiers were wounded in the street fighting.
A doctor in Gao’s hospital, Noulaye Djiteyi, said three civilians were killed and 11 injured by gunshot wounds. The
casualties were hit by stray bullets in the gunbattle.
Gao was retaken by French and Malian troops just over two weeks ago. It was thought all of the Islamists had been driven out.
The rapid speed of the French intervention to oust insurgents from Mali’s north appears to have left the rear of their forward lines vulnerable, with Mali’s weak army unable to make safe the recaptured zones.
The surprise raid by insurgents comes after Saturday’s suicide bomber attempt near a checkpoint at a northern entrance to the town.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 5[Live] Ukraine: Yatseniuk accuses Putin of trying to sabotage presidential election
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 14:49 CET Taliban negotiator under house arrest in UAE, says Afghanistan
- 14:45 CET Death toll from Guinea Ebola outbreak rises to 122
- 14:13 CET Russia’s Putin fields question from U.S. fugitive Snowden
- 13:47 CET Divers struggle in search for Korean ferry survivors
- 13:35 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 13:31 CET Nigeria local authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still…
- 13:27 CET Reporters charged with defamation remanded on bail in Thailand
- 13:26 CET Cut off from the world, Gazans consumed by poverty