Heavy gunfire and running street battles between Malian troops and suspected Islamist insurgents erupted in the town of Gao only hours after a foiled suicide bomb attack.
It was reported French soldiers may have also taken part in the clashes.
Much of the fighting has centred on a police station where al Qaeda linked rebels were said to be holed up.
Malian Defence Minister Yamoussa Camara said three of the Islamist raiders who has sneaked back into the town were killed and 11 taken prisoner, while some Malian soldiers were wounded in the street fighting.
A doctor in Gao’s hospital, Noulaye Djiteyi, said three civilians were killed and 11 injured by gunshot wounds. The
casualties were hit by stray bullets in the gunbattle.
Gao was retaken by French and Malian troops just over two weeks ago. It was thought all of the Islamists had been driven out.
The rapid speed of the French intervention to oust insurgents from Mali’s north appears to have left the rear of their forward lines vulnerable, with Mali’s weak army unable to make safe the recaptured zones.
The surprise raid by insurgents comes after Saturday’s suicide bomber attempt near a checkpoint at a northern entrance to the town.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 09:28 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 08:56 CET Rescuers in Myanmar struggle to reach flood-hit areas, toll seen…
- 08:13 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer
- 03:17 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- 00:46 CET Nigeria’s army says rescued 178 captives of Boko Haram
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy