The French contingent proved a dominant force at their home judo Grand Slam in Paris on the second and final day of competition on Sunday.
27-year-old Lucie Louette thrilled the partizan crowd at Bercy by winning the women’s under 78 kilo category.
The 2011 European silver medallist needed the full five minutes to beat Akari Ogata of Japan in the final and did so with a yuko – the third highest score achievable in a bout behind an ippon and Waza-ari.
Louette was one of three French female judokas to claim gold in Paris out of seven events after Automne Pavia claimed the under 57 kilo class and Clarisse Agbegnenou the under 63 category.
The men’s team celebrated two victories in their own capital. One gold came as no surprise as five-time world and current Olympic champion Teddy Riner took top honours in the over 100 kilo division.
The 23-year-old wrapped up proceedings by beating Sung-Min Kim of South Korea in just over three minutes.
The powerful Frenchman, who was competing for the first time since his Olympic triumph, won gold in style with an ippon – his third judo knockout for this grand slam.
David Larose handed the home nation the other men’s gold with victory in the under 66 kilo class.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 23:04 CET Obama enthusiastic for Los Angeles Summer Olympics bid – White…
- 22:56 CET Cilic into U.S. Open third round; Fish takes final bow
- 21:46 CET Nigeria’s Segun Odegbami enters race for FIFA presidency
- 21:35 CET Juventus say Pogba could be worth more than 100 million euros
- 21:34 CET Defending champion Cilic powers into third round
- 19:29 CET FIFA’s latest reform committee meets for the first time
- 19:05 CET Aru surges into Vuelta lead, Froome’s challenge ended
- 18:46 CET My family more nervous than me about United move – Martial