The French contingent proved a dominant force at their home judo Grand Slam in Paris on the second and final day of competition on Sunday.
27-year-old Lucie Louette thrilled the partizan crowd at Bercy by winning the women’s under 78 kilo category.
The 2011 European silver medallist needed the full five minutes to beat Akari Ogata of Japan in the final and did so with a yuko – the third highest score achievable in a bout behind an ippon and Waza-ari.
Louette was one of three French female judokas to claim gold in Paris out of seven events after Automne Pavia claimed the under 57 kilo class and Clarisse Agbegnenou the under 63 category.
The men’s team celebrated two victories in their own capital. One gold came as no surprise as five-time world and current Olympic champion Teddy Riner took top honours in the over 100 kilo division.
The 23-year-old wrapped up proceedings by beating Sung-Min Kim of South Korea in just over three minutes.
The powerful Frenchman, who was competing for the first time since his Olympic triumph, won gold in style with an ippon – his third judo knockout for this grand slam.
David Larose handed the home nation the other men’s gold with victory in the under 66 kilo class.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 12:50 CET Toure being made Man City scapegoat, says agent
- 12:10 CET Master tactician Mourinho sets Chelsea apart
- 10:40 CET Injury crisis threatens Real’s trophy aspirations
- 09:41 CET Hughes’ bat, jerseys head to Mount Everest
- 06:24 CET Newly elected Indonesia FA chief vows to fight back
- 06:19 CET Phelps, Lochte score wins at Mesa
- 02:13 CET Olympic course designer hopes golf wins in Rio Games
- 21:59 CET Burnley down but not out yet, says Dyche