The French contingent proved a dominant force at their home judo Grand Slam in Paris on the second and final day of competition on Sunday.
27-year-old Lucie Louette thrilled the partizan crowd at Bercy by winning the women’s under 78 kilo category.
The 2011 European silver medallist needed the full five minutes to beat Akari Ogata of Japan in the final and did so with a yuko – the third highest score achievable in a bout behind an ippon and Waza-ari.
Louette was one of three French female judokas to claim gold in Paris out of seven events after Automne Pavia claimed the under 57 kilo class and Clarisse Agbegnenou the under 63 category.
The men’s team celebrated two victories in their own capital. One gold came as no surprise as five-time world and current Olympic champion Teddy Riner took top honours in the over 100 kilo division.
The 23-year-old wrapped up proceedings by beating Sung-Min Kim of South Korea in just over three minutes.
The powerful Frenchman, who was competing for the first time since his Olympic triumph, won gold in style with an ippon – his third judo knockout for this grand slam.
David Larose handed the home nation the other men’s gold with victory in the under 66 kilo class.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Champions League: Liverpool to face reigning champions Real Madrid
- 2World Judo Championships: Agbegnenou and Tchrikishvili on top of day four podium
- 3Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 4Sanchez sends Arsenal through to Champions League
- 5Nico Rosberg says sorry to Lewis Hamilton for Belgian F1 clash
- 1Subwing: the new sport sweeping Europe that let’s you swim like a dolphin
- 2Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 3Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 4Ricciardo wins Belgium GP after Mercedes collision
- 5World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 10Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 11Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 12Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 14Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 15Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 16Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 17EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 18Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 19EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > Sport
- 05:52 CET World Cup will decide who’s number one, say Clarke
- 04:40 CET Battling Bouchard moves into fourth round at U.S. Open
- 03:19 CET Sweden’s tough 75km island race born of barroom banter
- 01:36 CET Day and Palmer share halfway lead at Deutsche Bank
- 01:30 CET Jorgensen wins first world title for U.S. since 2004
- 01:13 CET Wawrinka through to fourth round after Kavcic withdrawal
- 01:06 CET Soccer-QPR sign midfielder Lassana Diarra
- 01:05 CET Soccer-Miranda and Mandzukic lead champions Atletico home