The French contingent proved a dominant force at their home judo Grand Slam in Paris on the second and final day of competition on Sunday.
27-year-old Lucie Louette thrilled the partizan crowd at Bercy by winning the women’s under 78 kilo category.
The 2011 European silver medallist needed the full five minutes to beat Akari Ogata of Japan in the final and did so with a yuko – the third highest score achievable in a bout behind an ippon and Waza-ari.
Louette was one of three French female judokas to claim gold in Paris out of seven events after Automne Pavia claimed the under 57 kilo class and Clarisse Agbegnenou the under 63 category.
The men’s team celebrated two victories in their own capital. One gold came as no surprise as five-time world and current Olympic champion Teddy Riner took top honours in the over 100 kilo division.
The 23-year-old wrapped up proceedings by beating Sung-Min Kim of South Korea in just over three minutes.
The powerful Frenchman, who was competing for the first time since his Olympic triumph, won gold in style with an ippon – his third judo knockout for this grand slam.
David Larose handed the home nation the other men’s gold with victory in the under 66 kilo class.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > Sport
- 13:04 CET Super trophy lost, Cheika lands prized Folau
- 11:39 CET Struggling for goals, Messi happy to make assists instead
- 10:52 CET Sauber appoint Smith as technical director
- 10:04 CET Sky to split with British Cycling after 2016
- 09:47 CET Rahane surprised to be named stand-in India captain
- 08:15 CET Bastia face relegation threat over deficit
- 06:05 CET Martino demands more despite six-goal semi-final haul
- 05:55 CET Santner, Elliott earn NZ central contracts