Cyprus will oppose forcing losses on uninsured depositors to rescue the country’s banking system.
Cypriot finance minister Vassos Shiarly responded to a report in Monday’s Financial Times by saying:
“We do not accept, nor are we discussing, nor can we ever accept this. We categorically state that such a move would be illegal under Cypriot law and, I believe under European law.”
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said any final decisions on Cyprus would be taken in March — the country is holding presidential elections on Sunday.
“Also on the agenda are Germany’s calls for Cyprus to be more transparent on the issue of money laundering,” our correspondent in Brussels said.
Wealthly Russians have channelled funds into Cypriot banks, making any possible aid deal a hard sell to already sceptical German voters.
Eurogroup chief and Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem said: “I think we all agreed that a solution has to be reached on Cyprus and I think we should use the time that we have in view of the elections this month to work out the best possible solution. I’m sure that German government will agree on that”.
But the European Commission denied Brussels had proposed forcing losses depositors and investors, saying it wanted to “ensure fair burden sharing’ in any Cypriot rescue deal.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news