Cyprus will oppose forcing losses on uninsured depositors to rescue the country’s banking system.
Cypriot finance minister Vassos Shiarly responded to a report in Monday’s Financial Times by saying:
“We do not accept, nor are we discussing, nor can we ever accept this. We categorically state that such a move would be illegal under Cypriot law and, I believe under European law.”
Euronews’ Efi Koutsokosta said any final decisions on Cyprus would be taken in March — the country is holding presidential elections on Sunday.
“Also on the agenda are Germany’s calls for Cyprus to be more transparent on the issue of money laundering,” our correspondent in Brussels said.
Wealthly Russians have channelled funds into Cypriot banks, making any possible aid deal a hard sell to already sceptical German voters.
Eurogroup chief and Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem said: “I think we all agreed that a solution has to be reached on Cyprus and I think we should use the time that we have in view of the elections this month to work out the best possible solution. I’m sure that German government will agree on that”.
But the European Commission denied Brussels had proposed forcing losses depositors and investors, saying it wanted to “ensure fair burden sharing’ in any Cypriot rescue deal.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president