It may have been a cold and rainy London outside but everyone soon warmed up inside as awards began to flow at this year’s Bafta ceremony.
Ben Affleck topped the night’s score with two gongs, one for best picture and another for best director, both for his film Argo.
It is a tale about the rescue of American hostages in Iran during the 1979 revolution and Sunday night’s recognition makes it favourite to take the Oscar in two weeks time.
The reclusive Daniel Day-Lewis turned out to scoop up best actor for his widely acclaimed performance in the title role of Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln.
Known for staying in character during the entire filming period, Day-Lewis joked about his own acting methods telling the audience: “Just on the chance that I might one day have to speak on an evening such as this, I’ve actually stayed in character as myself for the last 55 years.”
Eighty-five-year-old Emmanuelle Riva, won best actress for her role as a retired music teacher struggling to cope with the aftermath of a stroke in the French-language film Amour.
Anne Hathaway won the Bafta for best supporting actress for her singing role as the tragic Fantine in Les Miserables, the film version of the stage musical.
And finally Bond got a Bafta, the first recognition for 007 in 50 years. Skyfall, which was the most successful film in UK box office history, beat the bookies favourite Les Miserables to win the award for outstanding British film.
Versatile British director Alan Parker, whose body of work ranges from musical gangster film Bugsy Malone to Turkish-set prison thriller Midnight Express and civil rights drama Mississippi Burning, received a BAFTA fellowship.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Culture ministers promote heritage and dialogue at Milan Expo
Hundreds of Crimean Tatar groups gather for world congress in Ankara
France: Roads gridlocked in ‘Black Saturday’ holiday getaway
Calais migrant crisis: France should ‘compensate’ UK drivers
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside
- 16:21 CET Airplane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 15:55 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar