The big freeze sweeping the North-Eastern United States has left a blanket of snow up to three feet deep and has caused havoc in New England.
700,000 homes and businesses were left without power, 2,200 flights have been cancelled and at least 7 people have been killed by the record breaking blizzard.
Along the Massachusetts coastline high winds and melting snow were threatening to flood ocean-front homes. Evacuations were ordered as hurricane force winds forced giant waves over the sea wall.
In New York, Central Park turned winter wonderland as the Big Apple was spared the worst of the storm. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had issued a state of emergency on Friday, but he later said that New York had “dodged a bullet” this time.
Superstorm Sandy which struck New York just 4 months ago, left a trail of destruction that the authorities are still working to restore. Residents in the areas worst hit noted that debris from the storm was now covered with snow.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:39 CET Pakistan under pressure to save trade agenda at South Asia summit
- 03:55 CET Young sister of North Korean leader takes senior party post: KCNA
- 03:48 CET Exclusive – Japan eyes military aid to spur defence exports, build…
- 03:30 CET Special Report – How China’s shadowy agency is working to absorb…
- 02:01 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 01:57 CET Taiwan vote tests waters for pro-China government ahead of…
- 01:08 CET MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given…
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms