The big freeze sweeping the North-Eastern United States has left a blanket of snow up to three feet deep and has caused havoc in New England.
700,000 homes and businesses were left without power, 2,200 flights have been cancelled and at least 7 people have been killed by the record breaking blizzard.
Along the Massachusetts coastline high winds and melting snow were threatening to flood ocean-front homes. Evacuations were ordered as hurricane force winds forced giant waves over the sea wall.
In New York, Central Park turned winter wonderland as the Big Apple was spared the worst of the storm. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had issued a state of emergency on Friday, but he later said that New York had “dodged a bullet” this time.
Superstorm Sandy which struck New York just 4 months ago, left a trail of destruction that the authorities are still working to restore. Residents in the areas worst hit noted that debris from the storm was now covered with snow.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:07 CET Thai army finds six more bodies near suspected human trafficking…
- 11:03 CET Aid agencies may stop Yemen work, Houthis say raids kill 43
- 10:53 CET Watch what you say about us, Rolex warns Italy’s prime minister
- 10:44 CET German police detain four over planned attacks on Muslims, refugees
- 10:36 CET Iran’s Khamenei: no place for military threats in nuclear talks…
- 10:18 CET Philippines, Japan coast guards hold anti-piracy drills
- 10:17 CET Turkish electoral body rejects Kurdish complaint against Erdogan
- 10:15 CET Analysis – King’s changes make Saudi policy less predictable