The big freeze sweeping the North-Eastern United States has left a blanket of snow up to three feet deep and has caused havoc in New England.
700,000 homes and businesses were left without power, 2,200 flights have been cancelled and at least 7 people have been killed by the record breaking blizzard.
Along the Massachusetts coastline high winds and melting snow were threatening to flood ocean-front homes. Evacuations were ordered as hurricane force winds forced giant waves over the sea wall.
In New York, Central Park turned winter wonderland as the Big Apple was spared the worst of the storm. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had issued a state of emergency on Friday, but he later said that New York had “dodged a bullet” this time.
Superstorm Sandy which struck New York just 4 months ago, left a trail of destruction that the authorities are still working to restore. Residents in the areas worst hit noted that debris from the storm was now covered with snow.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Latest world news
Hungary’s parliament approves ‘anti-migrant’ border fence
Stocks slightly lower after Greek vote
Nigeria: Scores killed in Jos in attacks blamed on Boko Haram
“I don’t understand it at all”, residents of Aachen react to Greek ‘No’
Turkish fury as minority Muslims ‘banned from fasting’ in China
Wires > News
- 17:40 CET Armenian protesters call for evening rally after police remove…
- 17:30 CET Britain’s EU ‘outers’ see opportunity in wake of Greece’s ‘No’
- 17:04 CET Ukraine launches Western-style police force to set a marker for…
- 16:30 CET Ukraine corruption probe finds diamonds, cash, Kalashnikov
- 16:02 CET Kuwait detains 26 over Islamic State suicide attack on mosque -…
- 15:30 CET BRICS summit gives Putin a chance to show Russia not isolated
- 15:26 CET Insight – Tensions with Russia could prompt NATO strategy rethink
- 15:21 CET MP tells anti-gay rally: Obama should not push gay agenda in Kenya