The big freeze sweeping the North-Eastern United States has left a blanket of snow up to three feet deep and has caused havoc in New England.
700,000 homes and businesses were left without power, 2,200 flights have been cancelled and at least 7 people have been killed by the record breaking blizzard.
Along the Massachusetts coastline high winds and melting snow were threatening to flood ocean-front homes. Evacuations were ordered as hurricane force winds forced giant waves over the sea wall.
In New York, Central Park turned winter wonderland as the Big Apple was spared the worst of the storm. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had issued a state of emergency on Friday, but he later said that New York had “dodged a bullet” this time.
Superstorm Sandy which struck New York just 4 months ago, left a trail of destruction that the authorities are still working to restore. Residents in the areas worst hit noted that debris from the storm was now covered with snow.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Arab rifts may complicate search for Gaza truce
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling