The big freeze sweeping the North-Eastern United States has left a blanket of snow up to three feet deep and has caused havoc in New England.
700,000 homes and businesses were left without power, 2,200 flights have been cancelled and at least 7 people have been killed by the record breaking blizzard.
Along the Massachusetts coastline high winds and melting snow were threatening to flood ocean-front homes. Evacuations were ordered as hurricane force winds forced giant waves over the sea wall.
In New York, Central Park turned winter wonderland as the Big Apple was spared the worst of the storm. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had issued a state of emergency on Friday, but he later said that New York had “dodged a bullet” this time.
Superstorm Sandy which struck New York just 4 months ago, left a trail of destruction that the authorities are still working to restore. Residents in the areas worst hit noted that debris from the storm was now covered with snow.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 22:24 CET White House bid to hold off Iran sanctions gains backing
- 21:15 CET U.S. vows support for Syrian opposition despite troubles
- 21:05 CET Mafia death threat shows Italy still haunted by 1992 murders
- 20:59 CET Three accused in 1998 U.S. embassy bombings to face joint trial
- 20:40 CET Somali president names economist as new prime minister
- 20:38 CET Catalonia sets referendum date next year, Spain says no
- 20:34 CET Car bomb kills one police officer in Ismailia
- 20:28 CET French prosecutor urges extradition of Kazakh tycoon