There was support on the streets of Tunis as thousands voiced their backing for the country’s governing Islamist party Ennahda.
Despite that Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has issued an ultimatum to politicians. He has said his threatened resignation will take effect this week if his proposals for an interim government of technocrats are not met.
It comes amidst mounting anger against France as teacher Fathi Rhayem one of the protesters explained. “The regimes of Ben Ali and Bourguiba, which are characterised by a submission to France, are over now. What we need is a balanced relationship. We want economical and friendly relations with France but we do not want to be dictated to.”
Following the killing of opposition leader Chokri Belaid whose funeral was last Friday French Interior Minister Manuel Valls said it was an attack on the values of Tunisia’s Jasmine revolution.
That was evidence the former colonial power was interfering say protesters.
Meanwhile the widow of Chokri Belaid has gone on television and asked Tunisia’s government for official protection for her family.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Wires > News
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack