There was support on the streets of Tunis as thousands voiced their backing for the country’s governing Islamist party Ennahda.
Despite that Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has issued an ultimatum to politicians. He has said his threatened resignation will take effect this week if his proposals for an interim government of technocrats are not met.
It comes amidst mounting anger against France as teacher Fathi Rhayem one of the protesters explained. “The regimes of Ben Ali and Bourguiba, which are characterised by a submission to France, are over now. What we need is a balanced relationship. We want economical and friendly relations with France but we do not want to be dictated to.”
Following the killing of opposition leader Chokri Belaid whose funeral was last Friday French Interior Minister Manuel Valls said it was an attack on the values of Tunisia’s Jasmine revolution.
That was evidence the former colonial power was interfering say protesters.
Meanwhile the widow of Chokri Belaid has gone on television and asked Tunisia’s government for official protection for her family.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 15:46 CET U.S. Joint Base Andrews on lockdown over active shooter report
- 15:32 CET Belize tanker with five Russians among crew detained off Libya
- 15:17 CET Istanbul airport bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz – Turkish…
- 15:12 CET U.S. downgrades Myanmar, raises Thailand in human trafficking…
- 15:08 CET Saudi Arabia to introduce hi-tech bracelets in haj safety push
- 14:12 CET Taliban suicide bombers kill 27 in attack on Afghan police cadets
- 14:09 CET Charges against Myanmar’s ‘Saffron Revolution’ leader pile up
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…