There was support on the streets of Tunis as thousands voiced their backing for the country’s governing Islamist party Ennahda.
Despite that Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has issued an ultimatum to politicians. He has said his threatened resignation will take effect this week if his proposals for an interim government of technocrats are not met.
It comes amidst mounting anger against France as teacher Fathi Rhayem one of the protesters explained. “The regimes of Ben Ali and Bourguiba, which are characterised by a submission to France, are over now. What we need is a balanced relationship. We want economical and friendly relations with France but we do not want to be dictated to.”
Following the killing of opposition leader Chokri Belaid whose funeral was last Friday French Interior Minister Manuel Valls said it was an attack on the values of Tunisia’s Jasmine revolution.
That was evidence the former colonial power was interfering say protesters.
Meanwhile the widow of Chokri Belaid has gone on television and asked Tunisia’s government for official protection for her family.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 4Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 03:22 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused