There was support on the streets of Tunis as thousands voiced their backing for the country’s governing Islamist party Ennahda.
Despite that Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has issued an ultimatum to politicians. He has said his threatened resignation will take effect this week if his proposals for an interim government of technocrats are not met.
It comes amidst mounting anger against France as teacher Fathi Rhayem one of the protesters explained. “The regimes of Ben Ali and Bourguiba, which are characterised by a submission to France, are over now. What we need is a balanced relationship. We want economical and friendly relations with France but we do not want to be dictated to.”
Following the killing of opposition leader Chokri Belaid whose funeral was last Friday French Interior Minister Manuel Valls said it was an attack on the values of Tunisia’s Jasmine revolution.
That was evidence the former colonial power was interfering say protesters.
Meanwhile the widow of Chokri Belaid has gone on television and asked Tunisia’s government for official protection for her family.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 19:54 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah encircle Syrian city near border – TV
- 19:51 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll
- 19:35 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 19:12 CET Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram angry at losing chance to vote
- 18:51 CET Islamist fighters kill seven in Somali hotel, troops regaining…
- 18:20 CET France to begin push for U.N. Middle East action in ‘coming weeks’
- 18:15 CET U.S. allies conduct 16 air strikes in Syria, Iraq
- 18:00 CET Congo Republic president says expects referendum over third term