Forces have foiled an attempted suicide attack in Mali. It happened in the north of the city of Gao as the bomber approached a checkpoint, the second such attack in as many days.
The remains of the bomber lay scattered in the area after he exploded following an exchange of fire with Malian soldiers. A witness described what happened. “There were exchanges of gunfire for 30 minutes. Then the bomber came, he advanced alone. He was armed. Soldiers returned fire, shot him because he walked towards them and then boom an explosion.”
Immediately afterwards roads to the north of the city were closed. Military experts believe Islamists are still in several villages surrounding Gao.
It is the first time French and Malian forces have encountered the tactic of suicide bombers.
This latest attack comes a day after troops arrested two people wearing belts packed with explosives about 20 kilometres north of Gao.
A spokesman for the armed group which claimed to be behind Friday’s suicide bombing warned it would strike again.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest