Forces have foiled an attempted suicide attack in Mali. It happened in the north of the city of Gao as the bomber approached a checkpoint, the second such attack in as many days.
The remains of the bomber lay scattered in the area after he exploded following an exchange of fire with Malian soldiers. A witness described what happened. “There were exchanges of gunfire for 30 minutes. Then the bomber came, he advanced alone. He was armed. Soldiers returned fire, shot him because he walked towards them and then boom an explosion.”
Immediately afterwards roads to the north of the city were closed. Military experts believe Islamists are still in several villages surrounding Gao.
It is the first time French and Malian forces have encountered the tactic of suicide bombers.
This latest attack comes a day after troops arrested two people wearing belts packed with explosives about 20 kilometres north of Gao.
A spokesman for the armed group which claimed to be behind Friday’s suicide bombing warned it would strike again.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 11:30 CET In Kenya’s Rift Valley, blood and bulls mark gateway to manhood
- 11:21 CET Scant hope of Syria peace breakthrough as Russia pounds rebels
- 11:10 CET EU executive to recommend suspending third of migrant relocation…
- 10:57 CET Fighting kills at least 500 in Aleppo province since Syrian army…
- 10:52 CET North Korea executes army chief of staff – South Korean media
- 10:49 CET Bulgaria nominates head of UNESCO for top U.N. post
- 10:45 CET More than 100 arrested in Sicilian anti-Mafia operation
- 10:39 CET Greek prime minister says ready to talk to farmers over pensions