For the first time Russia has placed an opposition activist under house arrest.
Sergei Udaltsov is charged with organising “mass disorder” ahead of President Vladimir Putin’s inauguration last May.
He is subject to an investigation expected to conclude in April. The court in Basmanny claimed they came to the decision to place him under house arrest as he was not cooperating with them.
Udaltsov is no stranger to controversy. He has been repeatedly detained during protests. His supporters say the authorities wish to hamper the opposition movement.
On Thursday another opposition activist was arrested over the May protests, bringing the number of people awaiting trial to 12.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:51 CET Peru’s prime minister steps down amid political scandal
- 22:36 CET Indonesian president-elect Jokowi calls for unity after bitter…
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused
- 21:23 CET Boko Haram moves unopposed in strategic Nigerian town
- 21:00 CET Suicide bomb kills at least four at army base in Benghazi -…