The head of a British parliamentary commission on the food industry has called for all meat imports from the European Union to be suspended while investigations continue into the horsemeat scandal.
Anne McIntosh, chairwoman of the House of Commons food and rural affairs committee and a member of the governing Conservative Party, advised people to buy fresh meat locally.
The government has rejected a temporary ban, saying it would be against EU rules.
The Romanian food industry has repudiated French claims that horsemeat found in beef products came from its abattoirs.
But the government in Bucharest is more cautious and is investigating. Agriculture Minister Daniel Constantin said: “I asked for a report (on the possible export of horsemeat) and I don’t want to comment before the head of the Sanitary-Veterinary Authority presents it to me. I hope to identify exporters as soon as possible. In the end it is a matter of product control here, before they left for other EU markets.”
The minister said French authorities had cast suspicion on two Romanian abattoirs. France, Britain and Ireland are investigating discoveries of horsemeat in meat products.
In the UK Findus has said it believes the contamination in beef lasagne was deliberate.
The authorities say there is no threat to health. But the scandal has revealed a complicated pan-European chain of meat suppliers and traders, raising questions about quality control.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:22 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, but no risk to…
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican
- 07:38 CET China issues property registration rules to aid anti-graft drive
- 07:04 CET British tsunami brothers use funky footwear to help children – TRFN
- 06:55 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 05:22 CET Senior Chinese leader to visit Vietnam amid sea tension
- 05:07 CET China foreign minister says willing to help Russia
- 03:47 CET China tells U.S. opposes all forms of cyber attacks, ‘terrorism’