The head of a British parliamentary commission on the food industry has called for all meat imports from the European Union to be suspended while investigations continue into the horsemeat scandal.
Anne McIntosh, chairwoman of the House of Commons food and rural affairs committee and a member of the governing Conservative Party, advised people to buy fresh meat locally.
The government has rejected a temporary ban, saying it would be against EU rules.
The Romanian food industry has repudiated French claims that horsemeat found in beef products came from its abattoirs.
But the government in Bucharest is more cautious and is investigating. Agriculture Minister Daniel Constantin said: “I asked for a report (on the possible export of horsemeat) and I don’t want to comment before the head of the Sanitary-Veterinary Authority presents it to me. I hope to identify exporters as soon as possible. In the end it is a matter of product control here, before they left for other EU markets.”
The minister said French authorities had cast suspicion on two Romanian abattoirs. France, Britain and Ireland are investigating discoveries of horsemeat in meat products.
In the UK Findus has said it believes the contamination in beef lasagne was deliberate.
The authorities say there is no threat to health. But the scandal has revealed a complicated pan-European chain of meat suppliers and traders, raising questions about quality control.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 4Five more years for Bouteflika
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status