The head of a British parliamentary commission on the food industry has called for all meat imports from the European Union to be suspended while investigations continue into the horsemeat scandal.
Anne McIntosh, chairwoman of the House of Commons food and rural affairs committee and a member of the governing Conservative Party, advised people to buy fresh meat locally.
The government has rejected a temporary ban, saying it would be against EU rules.
The Romanian food industry has repudiated French claims that horsemeat found in beef products came from its abattoirs.
But the government in Bucharest is more cautious and is investigating. Agriculture Minister Daniel Constantin said: “I asked for a report (on the possible export of horsemeat) and I don’t want to comment before the head of the Sanitary-Veterinary Authority presents it to me. I hope to identify exporters as soon as possible. In the end it is a matter of product control here, before they left for other EU markets.”
The minister said French authorities had cast suspicion on two Romanian abattoirs. France, Britain and Ireland are investigating discoveries of horsemeat in meat products.
In the UK Findus has said it believes the contamination in beef lasagne was deliberate.
The authorities say there is no threat to health. But the scandal has revealed a complicated pan-European chain of meat suppliers and traders, raising questions about quality control.
- 1Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 2Tsipras keeping promise, one refusal at a time
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 5Greek tourism looks for early deal to shift clouds from the sunshine
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 06:27 CET Indonesia to review ageing air force fleet after deadly crash
- 06:18 CET Crew of crashed TransAsia plane shut off working engine – source
- 05:13 CET China adopts new law to make networks, systems ‘controllable’
- 04:42 CET Hong Kong expects large pro-democracy rally as it marks 1997…
- 04:35 CET U.S.-Cuba deal to restore ties to be unveiled on Wednesday
- 04:01 CET Islamic State threatens to topple Hamas in Gaza
- 02:28 CET U.S. names new envoy for bid to close Guantanamo prison
- 23:19 CET Taiwan youth to China – Treat us like a country