10/02/13 14:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The head of a British parliamentary commission on the food industry has called for all meat imports from the European Union to be suspended while investigations continue into the horsemeat scandal.
Anne McIntosh, chairwoman of the House of Commons food and rural affairs committee and a member of the governing Conservative Party, advised people to buy fresh meat locally.
The government has rejected a temporary ban, saying it would be against EU rules.
The Romanian food industry has repudiated French claims that horsemeat found in beef products came from its abattoirs.
But the government in Bucharest is more cautious and is investigating. Agriculture Minister Daniel Constantin said: “I asked for a report (on the possible export of horsemeat) and I don’t want to comment before the head of the Sanitary-Veterinary Authority presents it to me. I hope to identify exporters as soon as possible. In the end it is a matter of product control here, before they left for other EU markets.”
The minister said French authorities had cast suspicion on two Romanian abattoirs. France, Britain and Ireland are investigating discoveries of horsemeat in meat products.
In the UK Findus has said it believes the contamination in beef lasagne was deliberate.
The authorities say there is no threat to health. But the scandal has revealed a complicated pan-European chain of meat suppliers and traders, raising questions about quality control.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Syria: UN warns of seige and starvation in Aleppo
Syria: Tens of thousands fleeing Aleppo remain stranded at Turkey border
Zuma’s legal battle latest stumble in error-filled second term
New Hampshire: Trump tipped to triumph, but everything still to play for
Spain: Princess Cristina and her husband in court, as defendants testify in fraud case
Wires > News
- 21:05 CET U.S. could limit collection of items left at Vietnam War memorial
- 20:51 CET North Korean shipping firm skirts U.N. sanctions, gets port access
- 20:48 CET EU executive to push Greece, Italy more on migration
- 20:45 CET U.N. fears for hundreds of thousands if Syria troops encircle…
- 20:39 CET Turkey summons U.S. envoy over comments on Kurdish PYD in Syria
- 20:19 CET Poland, courting NATO, plans to boost Middle East military…
- 20:02 CET Insurgents Trump and Sanders seek lift at New Hampshire primary
- 19:06 CET Exclusive – Damascus vows to recapture Aleppo from rebels