An accident during a safety training exercise in Spain’s Canary islands has killed five men and left three others injured.
A lifeboat fell from a cruise ship and capsized in the port of Santa Cruz on the island of La Palma.
Police say cables snapped during the safety drill and the boat plummeted 20 metres into the water.
Three of the dead were Indonesian, one was from the Philippines and the other from Ghana, according to the authorities. Two of the injured are Greek, the third Filipino.
The cruise ship, the Thomson Majesty, is operated by the British-based Thomson cruises. The parent company is the international leisure group TUI Travel.
The ship is described on the firm’s website as being the latest addition to the fleet. It is reported to have been due to sail to the Portuguese island of Madeira.
More than 2,000 passengers were on board but none of them were not involved in the accident.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 10:01 CET Cold War past shapes complex Merkel-Putin relationship
- 09:47 CET China voices ‘deep concern’ to North Korea over plane near-miss
- 09:35 CET Comic superhero Ultraman slain by Malaysian censors
- 09:33 CET Violent splinter group mars peace deal with Pakistan Taliban
- 09:18 CET U.S. says ready to do business with Indian front runner Modi
- 08:31 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack