An accident during a safety training exercise in Spain’s Canary islands has killed five men and left three others injured.
A lifeboat fell from a cruise ship and capsized in the port of Santa Cruz on the island of La Palma.
Police say cables snapped during the safety drill and the boat plummeted 20 metres into the water.
Three of the dead were Indonesian, one was from the Philippines and the other from Ghana, according to the authorities. Two of the injured are Greek, the third Filipino.
The cruise ship, the Thomson Majesty, is operated by the British-based Thomson cruises. The parent company is the international leisure group TUI Travel.
The ship is described on the firm’s website as being the latest addition to the fleet. It is reported to have been due to sail to the Portuguese island of Madeira.
More than 2,000 passengers were on board but none of them were not involved in the accident.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus