An accident during a safety training exercise in Spain’s Canary islands has killed five men and left three others injured.
A lifeboat fell from a cruise ship and capsized in the port of Santa Cruz on the island of La Palma.
Police say cables snapped during the safety drill and the boat plummeted 20 metres into the water.
Three of the dead were Indonesian, one was from the Philippines and the other from Ghana, according to the authorities. Two of the injured are Greek, the third Filipino.
The cruise ship, the Thomson Majesty, is operated by the British-based Thomson cruises. The parent company is the international leisure group TUI Travel.
The ship is described on the firm’s website as being the latest addition to the fleet. It is reported to have been due to sail to the Portuguese island of Madeira.
More than 2,000 passengers were on board but none of them were not involved in the accident.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 4Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 5Tunisia: Massive anti-terror march after Bardo Museum massacre
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:43 CET Major 7.7 quake strikes off Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning…
- 02:36 CET Syria’s Assad says Islamic State has expanded since start of …
- 00:55 CET Air Canada plane landed short, hit antennas in Halifax accident
- 20:24 CET Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists -…
- 18:32 CET Turkey detains five Dutch people seeking to enter Syria
- 18:19 CET Liberia calls for sexual abstinence to cut Ebola transmission risk
- 17:17 CET Tanzania president warns of rising religious tensions before…
- 16:53 CET Afghan court sentences AP photojournalist’s killer to 20 years in…