In an elaborate, symbolic and at times sombre ceremony the command of troops in Afghanistan was changed.
In the barricaded headquarters of NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Kabul General Joseph Dunford took over from General John Allen who has completed his 19- month tour.
Dunford could be the last to take charge of ISAF forces in Afghanistan as he will oversee the drawdown of most foreign troops by the end of next year.
“Today is not about change, It’s about continuity. What’s not changed is the will of this coalition. What’s not changed is the growing capability of our Afghan partners, the Afghan national security forces.
‘What’s not changed is our commitment to accomplish the mission and more importantly what’s not changed is the inevitability of our success,” he told the crowd of foreign and Afghan officials.
It has been arguably one of the most difficult periods as the conflict enters its 11th year. Security of much of the country was handed over to the Afghan army and police. But a number of NATO troops have been shot by Afghan forces.
President Hamid Karzai was missing from the change of command ceremony. A spokesman declined to give a reason.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Bahrain’s king holidays at Sharm el-Sheikh and tips Egypt for tourism
Wires > News
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 07:29 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president
- 04:32 CET Tough-talking mayor keeps poll lead a week before Philippine…