The snowstorm which has pummelled the Northeastern United States has claimed its first life. One man was killed when a driver lost control of her car and hit him. Canadian media has reported four people have died in a snowstorm driving across southern Ontario.
Throughout the north east around 600,000 homes and businesses lost electricity, roads were closed and thousands of flights disrupted.
“It is horrible, it is absolutely horrible out there it will be ploughing out until Monday. Hopefully it will be 50 degrees on Monday and it will be melting. There is no place to put the snow,” said one New York resident.
Warnings were in effect for the northeastern coast while the National weather service said travel conditions would be hazardous if not impossible.
Students at Columbia University in New York City staged an impromptu party in the snow which in some areas fell to a depth of 75 centimetres. The heavy fall was backed by winds that gusted up to 133 kilometres an hour.
In Hartford, Connecticut the snow fell at a rate of more than 10 centimetres an hour forcing street clearing crews to suspend their operation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5First of flight MH17 victims’ remains arrive in the Netherlands
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 19:05 CET Bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari targeted
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker