The snowstorm which has pummelled the Northeastern United States has claimed its first life. One man was killed when a driver lost control of her car and hit him. Canadian media has reported four people have died in a snowstorm driving across southern Ontario.
Throughout the north east around 600,000 homes and businesses lost electricity, roads were closed and thousands of flights disrupted.
“It is horrible, it is absolutely horrible out there it will be ploughing out until Monday. Hopefully it will be 50 degrees on Monday and it will be melting. There is no place to put the snow,” said one New York resident.
Warnings were in effect for the northeastern coast while the National weather service said travel conditions would be hazardous if not impossible.
Students at Columbia University in New York City staged an impromptu party in the snow which in some areas fell to a depth of 75 centimetres. The heavy fall was backed by winds that gusted up to 133 kilometres an hour.
In Hartford, Connecticut the snow fell at a rate of more than 10 centimetres an hour forcing street clearing crews to suspend their operation.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Artist Banksy uses pussy power to highlight Gaza devastation
- 5“Jihadi John” identified as Kuwaiti-born Briton Mohammed Emwazi
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 3Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 4New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 5Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 00:44 CET ‘Jihadi John’ from Islamic State beheading videos unmasked as…
- 22:54 CET Saudi ambassador moves to Aden from Houthi-controlled capital -…
- 22:35 CET Greek protesters clash with police in first backlash against Syriza
- 22:17 CET Russia’s Khodorkovsky: Putin is a ‘naked king’ facing economic ruin
- 20:00 CET EU-Russia-Ukraine gas talks to be held on Monday – EU
- 18:30 CET Sudan’s Bashir says will quit in 2020 if re-elected president
- 18:08 CET Le Pen woos French farm vote as malaise deepens
- 17:48 CET Swiss right-wing party enlists magazine chief as candidate