The snowstorm which has pummelled the Northeastern United States has claimed its first life. One man was killed when a driver lost control of her car and hit him. Canadian media has reported four people have died in a snowstorm driving across southern Ontario.
Throughout the north east around 600,000 homes and businesses lost electricity, roads were closed and thousands of flights disrupted.
“It is horrible, it is absolutely horrible out there it will be ploughing out until Monday. Hopefully it will be 50 degrees on Monday and it will be melting. There is no place to put the snow,” said one New York resident.
Warnings were in effect for the northeastern coast while the National weather service said travel conditions would be hazardous if not impossible.
Students at Columbia University in New York City staged an impromptu party in the snow which in some areas fell to a depth of 75 centimetres. The heavy fall was backed by winds that gusted up to 133 kilometres an hour.
In Hartford, Connecticut the snow fell at a rate of more than 10 centimetres an hour forcing street clearing crews to suspend their operation.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
Wires > News
- 10:57 CET Saudi soldier killed in shooting in eastern district – SPA
- 10:51 CET Poland’s richest man, Jan Kulczyk, dies at 65
- 09:50 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 09:38 CET Merkel’s Bavarian ally says Grexit would cause ‘utter chaos’
- 09:03 CET Chinese airport closed after arson attack aboard plane
- 08:43 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 08:11 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy