Clashes between police and protesters have erupted across Egypt, leaving at least 126 people wounded.
In Cairo protesters marched on the presidential palace, pelting the walls with petrol bombs and rocks. Police responded with tear gas, driving into the crowd to scatter them.
Demonstrators took to the streets last month to decry what they saw as Islamist President Mohamed Mursi’s attempts to monopolise power. Last week, the main opposition party signed an agreement with the ruling Muslim Brotherhood rejecting the violence which has claimed 59 lives since January 25th.
Two years on from the Arab Spring which overthrew President Hosni Mubarak, commentators say we are witnessing an Arab winter with many unhappy with what they see as a lack of improvement in their lives since the revolution.
Euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, reports from the Egyptian capital:
“Another tumultuous Friday in Egypt, more precisely in Cairo, where demonstrations began peacefully and turned into clashes between protesters and security forces who are surrounding the Presidential Palace. At the same time, some personalities from the opposition and the government called for dialogue to put an end to the crisis.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 20:31 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 20:20 CET Venezuela says ex-intelligence head arrested in Aruba
- 20:19 CET First U.N. aid convoy enters Syria without government consent
- 20:05 CET Russian court sentences opposition leaders to 4.5 years each in…
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane