Clashes between police and protesters have erupted across Egypt, leaving at least 126 people wounded.
In Cairo protesters marched on the presidential palace, pelting the walls with petrol bombs and rocks. Police responded with tear gas, driving into the crowd to scatter them.
Demonstrators took to the streets last month to decry what they saw as Islamist President Mohamed Mursi’s attempts to monopolise power. Last week, the main opposition party signed an agreement with the ruling Muslim Brotherhood rejecting the violence which has claimed 59 lives since January 25th.
Two years on from the Arab Spring which overthrew President Hosni Mubarak, commentators say we are witnessing an Arab winter with many unhappy with what they see as a lack of improvement in their lives since the revolution.
Euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, reports from the Egyptian capital:
“Another tumultuous Friday in Egypt, more precisely in Cairo, where demonstrations began peacefully and turned into clashes between protesters and security forces who are surrounding the Presidential Palace. At the same time, some personalities from the opposition and the government called for dialogue to put an end to the crisis.”
- 1Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 2Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Taliban ‘names new leader’ to replace Mullah Omar
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
Wires > News
- 18:03 CET Assailant stabs four at Gay Pride march in Jerusalem – police
- 17:57 CET Unable to contact dentist about Cecil the lion’s death – …
- 17:45 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 17:20 CET Chileans spooked by crime, demand government action
- 17:11 CET Afghan Taliban name a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 17:09 CET After Russia U.N. veto, countries seek court for Flight MH17…
- 17:03 CET France beefs up the security of military bases
- 16:32 CET Israel’s secret-keeper seeks censorship reform