Tens of thousands of Tunisians have turned out to mark the passing of assassinated opposition leader Chokri Belaid.
The shooting of the secular politician has plunged the country into political chaos.
Thousands chanted anti-Islamist slogans as his coffin was mobbed by mourners.
Maitre Suhail Mdimegh, a friend of Chokri Belaid attended the funeral:
“By killing him, they have given him life, he has been reborn in the hearts of all Tunisians We’re all Chokri Belaïd”
Clashes erupted close to the Tunis cemetery as Police fired tear gas rounds at protesters who hurled stones and set cars alight.
His wife Basma spoke to euronews:
“Chokri Belaïd hasn’t died in vain, he sacrificed himself for his country, we have all sacrificed him for Tunisia, and we are not sad, on the contrary, we’re happy and proud because Tunisian people have risen for rights and freedom.”
euronews correspondent Jamel Ezzedini is in Tunis:
“A solemn funeral for the late Chokri Belaid, a mix sadness and anger. Those on the funeral procession denounced the return of repressive tactics and political killings in post revolutionary Tunisia. The angry crowd threatened to bring down, what they call the Muslim Brotherhood in Tunisia by force if necessary.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…