Tens of thousands of Tunisians have turned out to mark the passing of assassinated opposition leader Chokri Belaid.
The shooting of the secular politician has plunged the country into political chaos.
Thousands chanted anti-Islamist slogans as his coffin was mobbed by mourners.
Maitre Suhail Mdimegh, a friend of Chokri Belaid attended the funeral:
“By killing him, they have given him life, he has been reborn in the hearts of all Tunisians We’re all Chokri Belaïd”
Clashes erupted close to the Tunis cemetery as Police fired tear gas rounds at protesters who hurled stones and set cars alight.
His wife Basma spoke to euronews:
“Chokri Belaïd hasn’t died in vain, he sacrificed himself for his country, we have all sacrificed him for Tunisia, and we are not sad, on the contrary, we’re happy and proud because Tunisian people have risen for rights and freedom.”
euronews correspondent Jamel Ezzedini is in Tunis:
“A solemn funeral for the late Chokri Belaid, a mix sadness and anger. Those on the funeral procession denounced the return of repressive tactics and political killings in post revolutionary Tunisia. The angry crowd threatened to bring down, what they call the Muslim Brotherhood in Tunisia by force if necessary.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 02:34 CET Malaysia Airlines says lost contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace